Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Province receives report from Surrey officials on policing

Province receives report from Surrey officials on policing
The B-C government recommended in April that Surrey continue the transition to an independent force and Farnworth set out requirements for safe and effective policing, which the city would need to follow in order to keep the Mounties.  

Province receives report from Surrey officials on policing

Man jumps on police car and smashes windshield: VPD

Man jumps on police car and smashes windshield: VPD
Vancouver police say a man jumped on a police car and smashed the windshield over the weekend before he tried to run away. Officers say yesterday's incident was unrelated to a traffic stop they were conducting at the time. 

Man jumps on police car and smashes windshield: VPD

Surrey RCMP head calling Surrey shooting a 'disgusting attack'

Surrey RCMP head calling Surrey shooting a 'disgusting attack'
R-C-M-P assistant commissioner Brian Edwards says anyone with knowledge of the murder should come forward as witnesses. Nijjar was accused of terrorism and conspiracy to murder in India, but there's no indication yet of a motive for the murder.

Surrey RCMP head calling Surrey shooting a 'disgusting attack'

Surrey, B.C., mayor accuses public safety minister of bullying, misogyny

Surrey, B.C., mayor accuses public safety minister of bullying, misogyny
Locke said Farnworth has been "a bully all the way through" the city council process that ultimately determined it would revert to the RCMP, well into the transition to an independent municipal force. A representative of Farnworth's office did not immediately respond to a request for comment about Locke's claims.  

Surrey, B.C., mayor accuses public safety minister of bullying, misogyny

New Nanaimo hospital ICU to take patients soon, replacing one of Canada's worst units

New Nanaimo hospital ICU to take patients soon, replacing one of Canada's worst units
Dix was in Nanaimo today for an opening ceremony for the unit that will replace what he says is an outdated and undersized ICU, a10-bed facility built in 1970. He says the new $41.6-million unit includes larger single-patient rooms, overhead patient lifts and a family consulting room.

New Nanaimo hospital ICU to take patients soon, replacing one of Canada's worst units

Donnie Creek Wildfire now the largest in B.C.'s history: Wildfire Service

Donnie Creek Wildfire now the largest in B.C.'s history: Wildfire Service
The fire, which is burning south of Fort Nelson in northeastern B.C., is now estimated at more than 5,343 square kilometres in size. It surpasses the Plateau fire that charred 5,210 square kilometres northwest of Williams Lake in 2017 and was previously considered the province's largest fire.  

Donnie Creek Wildfire now the largest in B.C.'s history: Wildfire Service