Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Surrey councillor breached conflict rules in police vote: ethics report

Surrey councillor breached conflict rules in police vote: ethics report
The investigation by Surrey's ethics commissioner says Rob Stutt broke the council's code of conduct on Nov. 14 when he voted at a meeting to decide the fate of the transition. The move to the Surrey Police Service was rejected in a 5-4 vote.  

Surrey councillor breached conflict rules in police vote: ethics report

Mental health supports for immigrants on Vancouver Island

Mental health supports for immigrants on Vancouver Island
The B-C government says it will spend 375-thousand dollars over three years to support child and youth counselling services at the Vancouver Island Counselling Centre for Immigrants and Refugees.

Mental health supports for immigrants on Vancouver Island

Burnaby massage therapist accused of sexual misconduct

Burnaby massage therapist accused of sexual misconduct
The College of Massage Therapists of British Columbia says a massage therapist in Burnaby who's been accused of sexual misconduct cannot have female clients while he's being investigated. It comes after a patient complained that the therapist inappropriately touched them in April.

Burnaby massage therapist accused of sexual misconduct

18 year old assaulted with a baseball bat

18 year old assaulted with a baseball bat
Witnesses told police, the suspect was seen approaching the victim wearing a mask and carrying a baseball bat. The suspect then allegedly hit the victim with the bat and kicked him before fleeing on foot with a group of 4-5 youths. Bystanders provided first aid to the 18-year man until such time that emergency first responders arrived on scene.

18 year old assaulted with a baseball bat

B.C. launches $20M flood mitigation fund for the Fraser Valley

B.C. launches $20M flood mitigation fund for the Fraser Valley
A statement from the Agriculture Ministry says the funding will be used for community-scale projects that protect and restore local ecosystems and wetlands, such as culvert improvements, embankment stabilization and crop diversification.

B.C. launches $20M flood mitigation fund for the Fraser Valley

Search for missing submersible near Titanic wreck site a race against time

Search for missing submersible near Titanic wreck site a race against time
The search, in an area about 700 kilometres south of St. John’s, N.L., is in a race against time because the 6.4-metre vessel had a 96-hour oxygen supply when it submerged on Sunday morning, according to an adviser for owner OceanGate Expeditions.

Search for missing submersible near Titanic wreck site a race against time