Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

'Hugo is fine': RCMP say Richmond, B.C., resident harassed over false cruelty claim

'Hugo is fine': RCMP say Richmond, B.C., resident harassed over false cruelty claim
A statement from Richmond RCMP says they have received multiple calls since June 16 to investigate the pet owner after posters were put up around the city listing the address and accusing the resident of cruelty.

'Hugo is fine': RCMP say Richmond, B.C., resident harassed over false cruelty claim

28 year old man killed in Downtown collision

28 year old man killed in Downtown collision
Vancouver Police are investigating a fatal collision that killed a 28-year-old man this morning, and are asking anyone with information to call investigators. Although the investigation is still in its early stages, it is believed speed and impaired driving contributed to the crash. The 34-year-old suspect, driving the van, was taken to hospital for serious injuries. The investigation is ongoing.

28 year old man killed in Downtown collision

Search for two Metro Vancouver men underway on lake in B.C.'s southern Interior

Search for two Metro Vancouver men underway on lake in B.C.'s southern Interior
A statement from Merritt RCMP says the two were last seen Monday in a small boat on Stump Lake, between Kamloops and Merritt. Friends began a search around the lake late Monday, then called police when they couldn't find the two men.

Search for two Metro Vancouver men underway on lake in B.C.'s southern Interior

Sex assault charge dropped against former Kelowna mayor Colin Basran

Sex assault charge dropped against former Kelowna mayor Colin Basran
The B.C. Prosecution Service announced in a statement Thursday that the charge laid against Colin Basran last October has been dropped. The service says special prosecutor Brock Martland was appointed to the investigation of a sexual assault alleged to have happened in May 2022, when Basran was the sitting mayor. 

Sex assault charge dropped against former Kelowna mayor Colin Basran

Second accused charged for shooting Sikh man to death in Canada

Second accused charged for shooting Sikh man to death in Canada
Daqwan Roshayne Howard Lee, 28, was arrested on Monday and charged with first-degree murder, aggravated assault and discharging a firearm with intent, Edmonton police said. Police said Barinder Singh and his daughter were "innocent victims of a wrongly targeted crime".

Second accused charged for shooting Sikh man to death in Canada

Fraud suspect on the loose: Surrey RCMP

Fraud suspect on the loose: Surrey RCMP
Through investigation it was determined that the person who uttered the fraudulent bank drafts was utilizing another person’s identity. The suspect is described as a South Asian female, 5’7", slim build, with shoulder length dark hair. She spoke Hindi, Punjabi and English.  

Fraud suspect on the loose: Surrey RCMP