Sunday, February 15, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Reign of world's largest hockey stick coming to an end as Duncan holds survey

Reign of world's largest hockey stick coming to an end as Duncan holds survey
The 28,118-kilogram stick was built to mark the entrance to the Canada pavilion at Vancouver's Expo in 1986, but 37 years later the Cowichan Valley Regional District said it is coming to "the end of its life."  

Reign of world's largest hockey stick coming to an end as Duncan holds survey

B.C. public schools move away from letter grades from kindergarten to Grade 9

B.C. public schools move away from letter grades from kindergarten to Grade 9
A statement from the Education Ministry says that starting in the 2023-2024 school year, only students in grades 10, 11 and 12 will receive letter grades and percentages so post-secondary entry requirements are met. 

B.C. public schools move away from letter grades from kindergarten to Grade 9

Body found in vacant lot: VPD

Body found in vacant lot: VPD
Police say a body has been found in a vacant lot in East Vancouver. Constable Tania Visintin says the discovery was made last night by a passerby. It's Vancouver's ninth homicide of 2023.

Body found in vacant lot: VPD

Sikh Liberal MPs meet with public safety minister over Surrey killing

Sikh Liberal MPs meet with public safety minister over Surrey killing
The federal Liberal Party's Sikh caucus -- which includes several members of Parliament from B-C -- has met with Public Safety Minister Marco Mendocino to discuss the killing of Surrey Sikh leader Hardeep Singh Nijjar. Seven caucus members met with the minister last night.

Sikh Liberal MPs meet with public safety minister over Surrey killing

Man in hospital after being hit by a bus

Man in hospital after being hit by a bus
A man is in hospital with critical injuries after being hit by a bus in Surrey on Friday morning. At 2:40am, Surrey RCMP responded to a report of a pedestrian motor vehicle crash in the 14000 block of 96th avenue.  

Man in hospital after being hit by a bus

38th anniversary of Air India bombing

38th anniversary of Air India bombing
Air India flight 1-82 blew up hours later off Ireland's coast, killing all 329 people aboard -- most of whom were Canadians. Health Minister Adrian Dix will take part in an event today for the National Day of Remembrance for Victims of Terrorism at the Air India Memorial in Vancouver.

38th anniversary of Air India bombing