Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

4 fined $17K for fisheries violations

4 fined $17K for fisheries violations
A Victoria provincial court judge found the violations happened off Galiano Island in May of last year when officers checked a nearly seven-metre vessel, discovering a cache of hidden rock fish -- including three Yelloweye rock fish, which are illegal to retain.  

4 fined $17K for fisheries violations

2 hurt in Prince George home invasion

2 hurt in Prince George home invasion
R-C-M-P say it happened just after eight last night in a home in the city's Quinson neighbourhood, northwest of the downtown core. Investigators haven't said how many people might have been involved in the attack or how they were called to the home.

2 hurt in Prince George home invasion

Dr.Theresa Tam says to protect health amidst wildfires

Dr.Theresa Tam says to protect health amidst wildfires
Chief Public Health Officer Dr. Theresa Tam says the smoke from the fires contains microscopic particles that pose significant risk to both humans and animals. The particles can cause asthma attacks, compound breathing problems for people with C-O-P-D, and potentially lead to bronchitis and pneumonia.

Dr.Theresa Tam says to protect health amidst wildfires

Canada's oil output would plummet by 2050 in a net-zero world, new modelling shows

Canada's oil output would plummet by 2050 in a net-zero world, new modelling shows
The regulator says if emissions regulations successfully limit global warming to 1.5 degrees Celsius, fossil fuel use will drop by 65 per cent from 2021 to 2050. That would prompt a collapse in global oil prices, to as low as US$35 per barrel by 2030 and US$24 per barrel by 2050.

Canada's oil output would plummet by 2050 in a net-zero world, new modelling shows

Metro Vancouver Transit Police files hacked in raid linked to Russian extortion gang

Metro Vancouver Transit Police files hacked in raid linked to Russian extortion gang
The police service says in a news release that a thorough review is underway to determine what information was contained in the 186 files that were accessed in the attack on a third-party file transfer system called MOVEit. It says the hackers did not gain access to the Transit Police network, and the software vulnerability has been patched and repaired.  

Metro Vancouver Transit Police files hacked in raid linked to Russian extortion gang

Police ask Sikh community to share information regarding Surrey gurdwara shooting

Police ask Sikh community to share information regarding Surrey gurdwara shooting
Assistant Commissioner Brian Edwards called the killing "brazen" and "appalling," saying it was "disgusting" that the incident happened at a place of worship, with many other community members present at the time of the attack.

Police ask Sikh community to share information regarding Surrey gurdwara shooting