Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

RCMP say no critical injuries in crash of B.C. bus carrying pipeline camp workers

RCMP say no critical injuries in crash of B.C. bus carrying pipeline camp workers
Prince George RCMP say no critical injuries have been reported among the 30 people on the bus that went off a forest service road and crashed 120 kilometres north of Prince George, B.C.

RCMP say no critical injuries in crash of B.C. bus carrying pipeline camp workers

Pregnant woman at Surrey Memorial Hospital told to go home and wait, delivered baby in car

Pregnant woman at Surrey Memorial Hospital told to go home and wait, delivered baby in car
According to media reports, on Sunday, a pregnant woman gave birth to her baby in her car after being turned away from the hospital on the pretext that what she was experiencing wasn't labour pain. Doctors at the SMH gave her morphine and told her to go home and wait.

Pregnant woman at Surrey Memorial Hospital told to go home and wait, delivered baby in car

Impaired Abbotsford driver makes their child blow into the ignition interlock system

Impaired Abbotsford driver makes their child blow into the ignition interlock system
Police in Abbotsford say a driver admitted to making their child blow into the ignition interlock system meant to keep impaired drivers from getting behind the wheel. They’ve also informed the Ministry of Children and Family Development. 

Impaired Abbotsford driver makes their child blow into the ignition interlock system

Environment Canada says 10 tornadoes confirmed in Alberta during Wednesday storm

Environment Canada says 10 tornadoes confirmed in Alberta during Wednesday storm
Environment Canada confirms what it calls a "tornado outbreak" in rural Alberta earlier this week. It says between 2:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday, nine twisters hopscotched between Calgary and Medicine Hat and another was spotted near Vermillion in eastern Alberta. 

Environment Canada says 10 tornadoes confirmed in Alberta during Wednesday storm

Surrey to stay with RCMP over municipal force

Surrey to stay with RCMP over municipal force
The B.C. government recommended in April that Surrey continue its transition to the independent Surrey Police Service, offering $150 million over five years to help the city cover costs, but saying it would not pay the estimated $72 million in severance for officers if council decided to revert back to the RCMP.

Surrey to stay with RCMP over municipal force

B.C.'s largest wildfire still threatens, as conditions elsewhere ease

B.C.'s largest wildfire still threatens, as conditions elsewhere ease
Rain and cooler weather over much of British Columbia has prompted two fire centres in the southern and central Interior to roll back campfire bans. The Kamloops and Cariboo fire centres say the Category 1 open fire ban will lift at noon Friday, covering blazes no larger than 1.5-metres high by 1.5-metres wide. 

B.C.'s largest wildfire still threatens, as conditions elsewhere ease