Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

IIO investigating Surrey crash

IIO investigating Surrey crash
Independent Investigations Office of B-C says it is investigating a car crash in Surrey.  Surrey R-C-M-P say officers attended the scene of the collision Sunday morning.

IIO investigating Surrey crash

Potential snowfall on Coquihalla highway

Potential snowfall on Coquihalla highway
Environment Canada has issued a warning about potential snowfall on the Coquihalla and other Interior highways. It says wet snow or a mixture of rain and snow may create slippery conditions on highway passes in the region.

Potential snowfall on Coquihalla highway

Sikh activist and President of Guru Nanak Sikh Gurdwara, Bhai Hardeep Singh Nijjar, shot dead

Sikh activist and President of Guru Nanak Sikh Gurdwara, Bhai Hardeep Singh Nijjar, shot dead
Canada-based Sikh leader Hardeep Singh Nijjar was shot dead by two unidentified gunmen at the parking lot of Guru Nanak Sikh Gurdwara in Surrey.  He was the president of Guru Nanak Sikh Gurdwara.

Sikh activist and President of Guru Nanak Sikh Gurdwara, Bhai Hardeep Singh Nijjar, shot dead

Canada passes 40 million population milestone amid immigration push

Canada passes 40 million population milestone amid immigration push
The 40-million mark came faster than expected, Statistics Canada said, as the country added 1.1 million people in 2022, most of them permanent and temporary immigrants. That's more than twice the federal government's plan to welcome more than 430,000 new permanent residents last year.

Canada passes 40 million population milestone amid immigration push

Home and camper on the wish list for Victoria, B.C., couple after $35M lotto win

Home and camper on the wish list for Victoria, B.C., couple after $35M lotto win
Lahsen Rezrazi says he stopped at a grocery store for milk and cream on his way to pick up Ramsay from work where he checked his lottery tickets. He says he initially won a modest $10 dollar prize and a free play before scanning the jackpot-winning ticket, and then called his wife with the news. 

Home and camper on the wish list for Victoria, B.C., couple after $35M lotto win

Renewable diesel refinery is first in Canada, completed in B.C.

Renewable diesel refinery is first in Canada, completed in B.C.
Officials, including Premier David Eby, were in Prince George to celebrate the milestone for the $380-million facility run by Tidewater Renewables. A government statement says the process involves blending feedstocks, such as canola and tallow, with transportation fuels to lower their carbon intensity.

Renewable diesel refinery is first in Canada, completed in B.C.