Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Pedestrian killed in Vancouver’s Chinatown

Pedestrian killed in Vancouver’s Chinatown
The city's police say a woman was crossing near Main and Georgia streets when she was struck just before 12:30 p-m. They say the driver is co-operating with the investigation.  

Pedestrian killed in Vancouver’s Chinatown

BC to invest in newcomers

BC to invest in newcomers
The provincial government will spend nearly 26-million dollars annually for settlement services to help newcomers succeed in their new communities.  That's an increase from six-million dollars the province had previously provided. 

BC to invest in newcomers

10 cars vandalized: New Westminster Police

10 cars vandalized: New Westminster Police
When officers arrived on scene they found ten vehicles had been sprayed with orange and blue paint. Officers collected evidence and began canvassing the area for CCTV footage.

10 cars vandalized: New Westminster Police

B.C. company expands antibody research, production facilities for second time

B.C. company expands antibody research, production facilities for second time
B.C. Premier David Eby said the expansion project will create more than 400 jobs, while ensuring world-leading medicines are developed in Canada for Canadians and people globally.

B.C. company expands antibody research, production facilities for second time

Surrey, B.C., municipal police force calls for clarity over future

Surrey, B.C., municipal police force calls for clarity over future
An open letter from the Surrey Police Service says the ongoing debate over whether the city transitions to using a municipal force or returns to the RCMP means employees are increasingly distracted by worries about their futures. The letter calls for "a clear and safe path forward for policing in Surrey."

Surrey, B.C., municipal police force calls for clarity over future

Driver strikes a pole in 152nd Street area of Surrey, road closures in effect

Driver strikes a pole in 152nd Street area of Surrey, road closures in effect
Surrey RCMP is investigating a single vehicle collision in the area of 152nd street and 62a Avenue. A vehicle was travelling north bound on 152 street when the driver lost control and struck a power pole, severely damaging it.

Driver strikes a pole in 152nd Street area of Surrey, road closures in effect