Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. RCMP expand search for suspect in targeted shooting in 'highly populated area'

B.C. RCMP expand search for suspect in targeted shooting in 'highly populated area'
A 37-year-old man was shot in the city's Burke Mountain neighbourhood while sitting at an outside table in a "heavily populated shopping plaza" on David Avenue and Coast Meridian Road.

B.C. RCMP expand search for suspect in targeted shooting in 'highly populated area'

BC Ferries tackles IT issue

BC Ferries tackles IT issue
The ferry corporation says it quickly identified the issue hours after the outage and provided scheduling updates on Twitter throughout Monday morning until the afternoon when the system came back online. 

BC Ferries tackles IT issue

Police in Chilliwack cancel shelter-in-place alert for residents near Skowkale

Police in Chilliwack cancel shelter-in-place alert for residents near Skowkale
Police in Chilliwack say a 29 year old man is in police custody following a high risk incident in which shots were allegedly fired at police. The call to shelter in place has been cancelled and an "active, ongoing, high-risk police incident" that began Monday night has been resolved.

Police in Chilliwack cancel shelter-in-place alert for residents near Skowkale

Missing man Irshaad Ikbal found dead in Vancouver

Missing man Irshaad Ikbal found dead in Vancouver
Police say the remains of Irshaad Ikbal were found in False Creek. A passerby called police after seeing the man in the water. Ikbal had been missing since April 29th.

Missing man Irshaad Ikbal found dead in Vancouver

Health Minister Adrian Dix attends Surrey Board of Trade Event, recognizes PICS Guru Nanak Diversity Village

Health Minister Adrian Dix attends Surrey Board of Trade Event, recognizes PICS Guru Nanak Diversity Village
He made special emphasis on the great work that Progressive Intercultural Community Services Society does in the community and mentioning of the upcoming PICS Long Term Care Facility in Cloverdale - Guru Nanak Diversity Village, which will meet the needs of the community. 

Health Minister Adrian Dix attends Surrey Board of Trade Event, recognizes PICS Guru Nanak Diversity Village

Spike in car thefts in Prince George

Spike in car thefts in Prince George
Corporal Jennifer Cooper says in the first two weeks of May, the force has seen more than a 100 per cent jump in reported thefts. She says many of the reported thefts are of early 2000s model vehicles.

Spike in car thefts in Prince George