Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

BOC raises concern that debt poses to Cdn economy

BOC raises concern that debt poses to Cdn economy
The central bank is also warning that financial stability could be threatened by a potential major cyber attack and more frequent extreme weather events associated with climate change.   

BOC raises concern that debt poses to Cdn economy

WestJet starts to cancel flights as pilot strike looms, negotiations in stalemate

WestJet starts to cancel flights as pilot strike looms, negotiations in stalemate
The Calgary-based company has begun to park the bulk of its fleet — 105 narrow-body 737s and seven wide-body 787 Dreamliners — using a "measured, phased and safe approach," the statement read.  

WestJet starts to cancel flights as pilot strike looms, negotiations in stalemate

Suspect driving taxi erratically arrested

Suspect driving taxi erratically arrested
Officers flooded the area and used their vehicles to block the taxi in, arresting its driver, who was taken to hospital with minor injuries. Police say the investigation is in its early stages, but they believe the taxi was stolen in a carjacking incident.

Suspect driving taxi erratically arrested

Wildfire smoke continues to spread throughout BC

Wildfire smoke continues to spread throughout BC
Michael Mehta, a professor of geography and environmental studies at Thompson Rivers University, is encouraging people to wear face masks in smoky areas. He says the risks associated with wildfire smoke are numerous and serious, but they're not always understood by the public.

Wildfire smoke continues to spread throughout BC

Shooting in Coquitlam sends one to hospital, RCMP believe it to be targeted incident

Shooting in Coquitlam sends one to hospital, RCMP believe it to be targeted incident
Officers were called to the David Avenue and Coast Meridian Road area around 7:30 p.m. Wednesday. When they arrived, they found a man with life-threatening gunshot injuries, and he was rushed to hospital.

Shooting in Coquitlam sends one to hospital, RCMP believe it to be targeted incident

B.C. municipal employee dies on the job after being hit by vehicle

B.C. municipal employee dies on the job after being hit by vehicle
Police in Oak Bay, a suburban community outside Victoria, confirm the man employed by the district was pronounced dead at the scene Wednesday morning. Police released few details about the incident, but say it occurred in the 1700-block of Monterey Avenue, near the Oak Bay fire and police department headquarters.

B.C. municipal employee dies on the job after being hit by vehicle