Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Feds provide funds for gender based violence in BC

Feds provide funds for gender based violence in BC
The Ministry of Public Safety says Ottawa's funding will enhance 24-hour crisis hotlines run by the Salal Sexual Violence Support Centre and the Indian Residential School Survivors Society. It says the province-wide crisis lines provide risk-assessment and safety planning services to those experiencing gender-based violence. 

Feds provide funds for gender based violence in BC

Attempted child luring in Coquitlam

Attempted child luring in Coquitlam
While a 10-year-old girl was walking home from Panorama Heights Elementary school located at 1455 Johnson Street in Coquitlam, they were approached by two unknown adult females in a vehicle. The suspects asked the girl to get into the vehicle for treats. The girl ran away to a nearby Coquitlam City Bylaw officer for assistance.  

Attempted child luring in Coquitlam

Mounties in Kelowna notify IIO after police dog injures man on run

Mounties in Kelowna notify IIO after police dog injures man on run
R-C-M-P say officers pulled over an stolen vehicle with four people inside. They say the occupants ran away when officers told them they were under arrest, including one man who was holding what was believed to be a weapon. 

Mounties in Kelowna notify IIO after police dog injures man on run

Flood warning for part of northwest B.C., other rivers rising as heat grips province

Flood warning for part of northwest B.C., other rivers rising as heat grips province
Flooding on the Skeena River could reach a 20-year high as early as Wednesday, the River Forecast Centre said. The ongoing hot weather is accelerating snowmelt across most of B.C., it said, estimating that the Bulkley River near Smithers could reach 10-year flow levels by Wednesday or Thursday.

Flood warning for part of northwest B.C., other rivers rising as heat grips province

Vancouver police say woman assaulted on busy beach by man claiming to be masseuse

Vancouver police say woman assaulted on busy beach by man claiming to be masseuse
The VPD says the suspect is a South Asian man with a medium build and was wearing a black hat, sunglasses, beige cargo shorts, and a white and blue striped shirt at the time of the alleged assault.

Vancouver police say woman assaulted on busy beach by man claiming to be masseuse

BC Hydro says power usage highest for May

BC Hydro says power usage highest for May
The record for the highest May peak hourly demand was set last night, as temperatures soared across much of the province. BC-Hydro says preliminary analysis found consumption reached almost 76-hundred megawatts as residents turned to air conditioners and fans in an attempt to cool off.

BC Hydro says power usage highest for May