Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Autopsy showed 13-year-old B.C. teen was strangled, pathologist tells murder trial

Autopsy showed 13-year-old B.C. teen was strangled, pathologist tells murder trial
The body of the girl, who cannot be identified under the terms of a publication ban, was found in Burnaby's Central Park in July 2017, just hours after her mother had reported her missing. Ibrahim Ali last month pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder in the B.C. Supreme Court trial.  

Autopsy showed 13-year-old B.C. teen was strangled, pathologist tells murder trial

Vancouver to open outdoor pools on Saturday

Vancouver to open outdoor pools on Saturday
The city says designated swim areas at eight beaches will be patrolled from 11:30 a-m to 8:30 p-m daily. The hours will change later in the summer as the sun sets earlier.

Vancouver to open outdoor pools on Saturday

Janice Abbott, embattled CEO of B.C. housing operator Atira, resigns after audit

Janice Abbott, embattled CEO of B.C. housing operator Atira, resigns after audit
Janice Abbott resigned with immediate effect, the society announced Monday. Elva Kim, who chairs the board of Atira, said in a statement that she's confident Abbott's resignation would allow Atira to continue its work with "fewer distractions."

Janice Abbott, embattled CEO of B.C. housing operator Atira, resigns after audit

Global, economic security top priorities as Trudeau heads to South Korea, G7 summit

Global, economic security top priorities as Trudeau heads to South Korea, G7 summit
The prime minister is expected to be in Seoul between May 16 and May 18, after South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol's visit to Ottawa last fall. Since then, both countries have released their Indo-Pacific strategies, plans that aim to counterbalance Chinese influence by increasing economic and military ties in the region.

Global, economic security top priorities as Trudeau heads to South Korea, G7 summit

Ex-Vancouver mayor, Kennedy Stewart, takes aim at current mayor Ken Sim

Ex-Vancouver mayor, Kennedy Stewart, takes aim at current mayor Ken Sim
Kennedy Stewart says a memorandum of understanding between the city, the park board, and the province, meant to help people living in encampments, is being "recklessly disregarded." He describes Sim's support of the V-P-D in dismantling the tent encampment as "hyper colonial" and "cruel."  

Ex-Vancouver mayor, Kennedy Stewart, takes aim at current mayor Ken Sim

Spike in housing starts:CMHC

Spike in housing starts:CMHC
Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation reports the annual pace of housing starts jumped 22 per cent between March and April. It says the increase is due to a 33 per cent rise in starts of multi-unit urban homes.

Spike in housing starts:CMHC