Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Victoria Police recover contraband cigarettes worth 450K

Victoria Police recover contraband cigarettes worth 450K
Victoria Police have recovered contraband cigarettes worth 450-thousand dollars after a months-long investigation into illegal cigarette sales. Police say they began investigating in February cases of contraband cigarettes being sold in Greater Victoria at a fraction of their retail price.  

Victoria Police recover contraband cigarettes worth 450K

BCNDP legislature wraps up

BCNDP legislature wraps up
The B-C N-D-P government has ended its spring legislative session after passing 25 pieces of legislation, including laws that allow police to seize proceeds of crime. But the sitting also ends in turmoil after an Ernst and Young audit found mismanagement at Crown corporation B-C Housing.

BCNDP legislature wraps up

Senior faces charges in Coquitlam Little League fraud investigation

Senior faces charges in Coquitlam Little League fraud investigation
A 65-year-old female has been charged in a fraud investigation resulting in over $150,000 lost in funds. In August 2020, Coquitlam RCMP received a fraud report from the Coquitlam Little League after it was discovered that over $150,000 was missing from the league’s bank account.

Senior faces charges in Coquitlam Little League fraud investigation

BC Ferries adds extra sailings for upcoming long weekend

BC Ferries adds extra sailings for upcoming long weekend
The ferry operator says it will add 95 extra sailings between May 18th and 23rd to accommodate the extra traffic, projected to be more than 430-thousand passengers and 170-thousand vehicles over the six-day period.

BC Ferries adds extra sailings for upcoming long weekend

Surrey RCMP need the public's helping in locating missing male Hardik Arora

Surrey RCMP need the public's helping in locating missing male Hardik Arora
Hardik Arora was last seen on Wednesday  at approximately 2:00 pm in the 13400 block of Central Avenue in Surrey. He has not been seen or heard from since. It is unusual for Arora to not be in contact. Police and family are concerned for his health and well-being.

Surrey RCMP need the public's helping in locating missing male Hardik Arora

4 arrested, fraud factory dismantled: Burnaby RCMP

4 arrested, fraud factory dismantled: Burnaby RCMP
Along with the excavators and industrial printers, hundreds of items were seized, including, numerous printers, hard drives, network storage, laser engravers, a VIN plate stamping machine and modifying tools, hundreds of fraudulent identification cards and blank identification cards, blank bank draft paper a handgun and ammunition.

4 arrested, fraud factory dismantled: Burnaby RCMP