Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Phone thief arrested in Richmond

Phone thief arrested in Richmond
Richmond R-C-M-P say they were called to a mobile phone store on Number 3 Road on Saturday night after strange noises were reported emanating from the business after hours. Police were searching the store when a 50-year-old female suspect fell through the ceiling in front of the officers.

Phone thief arrested in Richmond

High temps in Lower Mainland starting Friday

High temps in Lower Mainland starting Friday
Forecasts warn that temperatures will push into the low-to-mid-30s over the central and southern Interior regions, and northern B-C will see temperatures possibly reaching the high 20s.

High temps in Lower Mainland starting Friday

City of Vancouver regulating noise pollution

City of Vancouver regulating noise pollution
Residents are asked to provide feedback through an online survey. The survey comes as Vancouver is conducting an extensive review to modernize and enhance its Noise Control bylaw.

City of Vancouver regulating noise pollution

Stolen items found inside vehicle in Prince George

Stolen items found inside vehicle in Prince George
Police say they found a vehicle last Friday that had been reported as stolen the day before. Inside, officers found a Panasonic Toughbook, two laptops, a metal detector, three satellite phones, a Sony P-S Vita and a cellphone.  

Stolen items found inside vehicle in Prince George

Serial groper arrested

Serial groper arrested
Between April 27th and 29th, four women reported being sexually assaulted while walking through neighbourhoods around B-C Place and Rogers Arena. Police released a photo of a suspect yesterday and, following a tip from the public, a man was arrested in East Vancouver this morning.

Serial groper arrested

City of Vancouver approves zoning changes for Cambie Street

City of Vancouver approves zoning changes for Cambie Street
Vancouver city council has approved changes to zoning in select areas of the Cambie Street corridor that it says will make it easier and faster to build up to 16-hundred townhouses. This change will allow applicants to proceed directly to a development permit application for townhouses in the approved areas.  

City of Vancouver approves zoning changes for Cambie Street