Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Vancouver man charged with arson

Vancouver man charged with arson
The 37-year-old suspect is charged with one count of arson. No one was injured in the blaze near Argyle Street and Victoria Drive on December 16th. It caused more than a million-dollars in damages.

Vancouver man charged with arson

Serial groper on the loose: Vancouver Police

Serial groper on the loose: Vancouver Police
Police in Vancouver are looking to identify a serial groper who has sexually assaulted numerous women since late last month. They say four women have been sexually assaulted since April 27th.  

Serial groper on the loose: Vancouver Police

Online child exploitation on the rise

Online child exploitation on the rise
Between January and March of this year, police say more than 57-hundred reports of online child sexual abuse were been received. They say if that rate continues, reports could more than double in 2023 over last year.  

Online child exploitation on the rise

3 youth struck in Chilliwack crash

3 youth struck in Chilliwack crash
Two youth have since been released from the hospital with minor injuries. The third youth is completing further medical examinations but expected to be released later today.  

3 youth struck in Chilliwack crash

Joly to announce Canada's bid for a seat on the UN Human Rights Council

Joly to announce Canada's bid for a seat on the UN Human Rights Council
Two government sources familiar with the matter, who were not authorized to speak publicly before the official announcement, say Canada is running on a bid that will highlight six main priorities, including holding states accountable for locking up human-rights activists.  

Joly to announce Canada's bid for a seat on the UN Human Rights Council

Richmond Resident Scores $5-Million from Lotto 6/49

Richmond Resident Scores $5-Million from Lotto 6/49
Yvonne Sinclair matched all six numbers in a draw in early December but says she wasn't in a rush to claim her prize. She now plans to buy a house for her family, take a tropical vacation and help her children with tuition.

Richmond Resident Scores $5-Million from Lotto 6/49