Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Suspect in Gurudwara sexual assault identified

Suspect in Gurudwara sexual assault identified
The 58-year-old male suspect has been released on conditions, including no contact with the victim and not to be in the presence of anyone under the age of 16-year-old without another adult present. The suspect is an employee at the temple, and the employer has been advised of the allegations and the conditions of his release.

Suspect in Gurudwara sexual assault identified

BC Emergency Alert on cellphones today

BC Emergency Alert on cellphones today
British Columbians need to be ready for a startling tone on their cellphones when a test of the national emergency alert system is blared out this afternoon. The alert will go to all compatible cellphones and will interrupt radio and television broadcasts at 1:55 p-m Pacific time.

BC Emergency Alert on cellphones today

Township of Langley wants own RCMP detachment

Township of Langley wants own RCMP detachment
The Township of Langley says it wants its own RCMP detachment and plans to stop sharing policing resources with the City of Langley. The township's council voted to begin the process, which the mayor says could take up to four years.

Township of Langley wants own RCMP detachment

Canadians can apply to renew their passports online beginning this fall

Canadians can apply to renew their passports online beginning this fall
Immigration Minister Sean Fraser says Canadians will be able to apply to renew their passports online beginning this fall. He announced the news at an event to unveil a new design for Canada's passport, which includes updated security features and colourful new pages.

Canadians can apply to renew their passports online beginning this fall

Trudeau to visit South Korea, attend G7 leaders' summit in Japan next week

Trudeau to visit South Korea, attend G7 leaders' summit in Japan next week
A news release today says Trudeau will visit Seoul between May 16 and 18 and meet with South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol to advance shared priorities, including economic and energy security, the path to net-zero emissions and human rights. 

Trudeau to visit South Korea, attend G7 leaders' summit in Japan next week

Man pleads guilty to manslaughter in 2019 drug death of teen in Langley, B.C.

Man pleads guilty to manslaughter in 2019 drug death of teen in Langley, B.C.
Police say the death of Carson Crimeni on Aug. 7, 2019, and the circumstances surrounding the case were "a shock to the community." Crimeni's family has said that on the day he died he was given drugs by others who wanted to share his reaction on social media.

Man pleads guilty to manslaughter in 2019 drug death of teen in Langley, B.C.