Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Congratulations pour in from political leaders in BC on King Charles coronation

Congratulations pour in from political leaders in BC on King Charles coronation
B-C Premier David Eby says in a statement that the coronation of Charles marks the first crowning of a Canadian head-of-state in seven decades. The event marks --quote-- "an opportunity to reflect on the common interests and values we share."

Congratulations pour in from political leaders in BC on King Charles coronation

Feds pump $390 M to fight gun crime

Feds pump $390 M to fight gun crime
The federal government plans to spend 390-million-dollars over the next five years as part of a renewed program to fight gang violence and gun crime. Public Safety Minister Marco Mendicino (men-duh-CHEE'-no) says the money will go to the provinces and territories and will include support for policing and prevention programs.

Feds pump $390 M to fight gun crime

Wildfires in northeastern B.C. continue to grow

Wildfires in northeastern B.C. continue to grow
The B.C. Wildfire Service said Sunday the fire at Boundary Lake was an estimated 5,900 hectares, compared to about 3,000 hectares earlier in the day. The fire at Red Creek hit 2,800 hectares, up from 1,550.

Wildfires in northeastern B.C. continue to grow

Vehicle photos released in Guildford shooting

Vehicle photos released in Guildford shooting
Surrey R-C-M-P say the shooting happened on May 2nd at 8 p-m in a parking lot on 108 Avenue, where officers found two victims who had been shot. One victim, 20-year-old Jayden Prasad, died of his injuries while the other victim recovered.

Vehicle photos released in Guildford shooting

19 year old pedestrian struck in Burnaby

19 year old pedestrian struck in Burnaby
Burnaby R-C-M-P say the crash happened at 1:50 p-m near Imperial Street and Patterson Avenue, when an eastbound car veered onto the sidewalk and hit the 19-year-old victim. The victim remains in hospital in serious condition, and police have ruled out impaired driving as a factor.

19 year old pedestrian struck in Burnaby

Surrey motor vehicle crash into river

Surrey motor vehicle crash into river
Police say the incident happened at around 1:30 p-m, when a black S-U-V driving southbound near the 3600 block of 152 Street struck another southbound car, left the road, and went into the Nicomeki River.  

Surrey motor vehicle crash into river