Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Break and enter in Nanaimo hair salon

Break and enter in Nanaimo hair salon
Mounties in Nanaimo are asking for the public's help in identifying two people accused of breaking into a local hair salon. They say police responded to a glass break alarm at Cosmo Prof on April 25th and found its door had been "smashed out."

Break and enter in Nanaimo hair salon

Leader of BC United Kevin Falcon appalled over drug trafficker arrest

Leader of BC United Kevin Falcon appalled over drug trafficker arrest
Falcon called on Premier David Eby and members of his cabinet to denounce the alleged activity as completely unacceptable. Vancouver police arrested a 51-year-old man for selling cocaine, methamphetamine and heroin out of a trailer parked in one of the neighbourhood's main intersections.

Leader of BC United Kevin Falcon appalled over drug trafficker arrest

Surrey RCMP need assault suspects of South Asian descent to be identified

Surrey RCMP need assault suspects of South Asian descent to be identified
Surrey RCMP is releasing two short videos from the scene that shows three suspects who are believed to be involved in the assault. The first video shows a suspect who is described as a South Asian man in his mid-20s to early-30s, with a long black beard, wearing all dark clothing, blue vest and a small blue turban.

Surrey RCMP need assault suspects of South Asian descent to be identified

Surrey Ethics commissioner reviewing complaint against a councillor

Surrey Ethics commissioner reviewing complaint against a councillor
Rob Stutt is a former R-C-M-P officer and the Surrey municipal police union says Stutt's children are currently employed by the Mounties. The union says Stutt was in a conflict of interest when he voted to keep the R-C-M-P in Surrey, noting that the vote passed by a razor-thin margin of five to four.

Surrey Ethics commissioner reviewing complaint against a councillor

Vancouver man arrested in relation to illicit drug dispensary

Vancouver man arrested in relation to illicit drug dispensary
Vancouver police have arrested a 51-year-old man for drug trafficking in connection with an illicit drug dispensary. Officers say the suspect was selling cocaine, methamphetamine, and heroin out of a mobile trailer in the city's Downtown Eastside.   

Vancouver man arrested in relation to illicit drug dispensary

Richmond RCMP seek missing man Mandeep Singh Dosanjh

Richmond RCMP seek missing man Mandeep Singh Dosanjh
Mandeep Singh Dosanjh last spoke with family members at approximately 11 a.m. on April 29th. He is believed to have been staying at a hotel along the 8600 block of Alexandra Road in Richmond that evening, but checked out in the early morning hours.

Richmond RCMP seek missing man Mandeep Singh Dosanjh