Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

BC temp records broken on Tuesday

BC temp records broken on Tuesday
Environment Canada says heat records were broken in eight different areas as a ridge of high pressure brought in warm spring weather. In Nelson, the temperature hit 30.2 Celsius, breaking a record set back in 1937.

BC temp records broken on Tuesday

No word on which Canadians will attend crowning of King Charles in London

No word on which Canadians will attend crowning of King Charles in London
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Governor General Mary Simon will be at Westminster Abbey this weekend as the King is officially crowned, but the rest of the official Canadian delegation largely remains a mystery.

No word on which Canadians will attend crowning of King Charles in London

Burglary suspect arrested in North Vancouver

Burglary suspect arrested in North Vancouver
R-C-M-P say a man in his 30s has been arrested and charged with break-and-enter after a burglary in North Vancouver. They say officers spotted a man a short distance away who matched the description of one of the suspects and seized electronic devices worth six-thousand dollars, which were then returned to the business.

Burglary suspect arrested in North Vancouver

Canada pledges $71 million in aid for Sudan, South Sudan and Central African Republic

Canada pledges $71 million in aid for Sudan, South Sudan and Central African Republic
Sajjan says the funds will flow through agencies of the United Nations and the Red Cross as well as non-governmental organizations to provide basic food, water and health services. Nearly $31 million will go toward Sudan, while slightly more will be sent to South Sudan, which seceded from that country in 2011.

Canada pledges $71 million in aid for Sudan, South Sudan and Central African Republic

More boots on the ground to address safety in New Westminster

More boots on the ground to address safety in New Westminster
New Westminster police says they are temporarily increasing their presence in the city's downtown in an effort to address safety concerns. It says this comes after a shooting, two stabbings and several assaults with weapons in the past two months. 

More boots on the ground to address safety in New Westminster

Human remains found in Surrey identified

Human remains found in Surrey identified
The R-C-M-P say they were able to identify the victim within a week of releasing photos of a tattoo and the clothing the man was wearing. They say his name is not being shared out of respect for his family and their request for privacy.  

Human remains found in Surrey identified