Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Indo-Canadian homeopath accused of sexually assaulting young patient

Indo-Canadian homeopath accused of sexually assaulting young patient
Sunil Anand has been charged with sexual assault and sexual interference following an investigation by the Peel Regional Police Special Victims Unit.  Anand was held for a bail hearing and attended the Ontario Court of Justice in Brampton.

Indo-Canadian homeopath accused of sexually assaulting young patient

Prohibited driver hit four-year-old girl on bike in Langford, B.C., RCMP say

Prohibited driver hit four-year-old girl on bike in Langford, B.C., RCMP say
The 37-year-old driver remained at the scene. Police say they learned he had been prohibited from driving because of being unlicensed and impaired. Mounties say in a statement they obtained a breath sample and while the man did have alcohol in his system, it was under the legal limit. 

Prohibited driver hit four-year-old girl on bike in Langford, B.C., RCMP say

Sinclair Group Forest Products to halt operations temporarily

Sinclair Group Forest Products to halt operations temporarily
Lakeland Mills in Prince George is set to be curtailed for the month of July, while Nechako Lumber Co. in Vanderhoof will be curtailed from May 14th to July 29th and Apollo Forest Products in Fort St. James will be curtailed in June.

Sinclair Group Forest Products to halt operations temporarily

2nd degree murder charge for suspect in South Vancouver stabbing

2nd degree murder charge for suspect in South Vancouver stabbing
Vancouver police arrested 25-year-old Mohammed Cortes Torres on Sunday. Police say Cortes Torres was a Surrey resident at the time of the homicide but more recently stayed on Vancouver Island.

2nd degree murder charge for suspect in South Vancouver stabbing

30-thousand packs of illegal cigarettes found at a West Kelowna home

30-thousand packs of illegal cigarettes found at a West Kelowna home
Corporal Bryan Mulrooney says evidence found at the home points to a sophisticated illegal cigarette trafficking operation. The Mounties are recommending charges against one man. 

30-thousand packs of illegal cigarettes found at a West Kelowna home

B.C. skills plan looks to future jobs, changing economy, includes $3,500 grant

B.C. skills plan looks to future jobs, changing economy, includes $3,500 grant
The government highlighted the future-ready plan in its budget earlier this year, saying it is a response to one of the biggest challenges facing B.C. businesses, which is access to more skilled workers. A 10-year labour market outlook for B.C. has forecasted there will be more than a million job openings in the province. 

B.C. skills plan looks to future jobs, changing economy, includes $3,500 grant