Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Expect long passport lineups this week, post-strike immigration backlog: ministers

Expect long passport lineups this week, post-strike immigration backlog: ministers
Families minister Karina Gould says the job action did not create a significant backlog, as the federal government received only about 20 per cent of the typical volume of passport applications during the strike.

Expect long passport lineups this week, post-strike immigration backlog: ministers

Vancouver's April home sales down 16.5% from a year ago: board

Vancouver's April home sales down 16.5% from a year ago: board
The B.C. board says sales for the month totalled 2,741, almost 16 per cent below the 10-year seasonal average. The composite benchmark price for all residential properties in Metro Vancouver hit $1,170,700 last month, down 7.4 per cent from a year ago but up 2.4 per cent from March.

Vancouver's April home sales down 16.5% from a year ago: board

Two men dead after boating incident off B.C. coast, RCMP say

Two men dead after boating incident off B.C. coast, RCMP say
The Joint Rescue Co-ordination Centre in Victoria says it sent the Canadian Coast Guard to the area to join the search for the missing men Sunday morning. It says they were found and recovered about six hours later, around 1 p-m.

Two men dead after boating incident off B.C. coast, RCMP say

Driver of overpass crash in Abbotsford could face charges

Driver of overpass crash in Abbotsford could face charges
The collision, which involved equipment loaded on a truck striking the Peardonville Road overpass in Abbotsford yesterday, was captured on video. Highway Patrol says though there were no injuries, a car was struck by some debris from the overpass.

Driver of overpass crash in Abbotsford could face charges

Premier Eby says B.C. officials will brief Surrey mayor, council over police dispute

Premier Eby says B.C. officials will brief Surrey mayor, council over police dispute
Eby says he's spoken twice with Surrey Mayor Brenda Locke since Friday when the government recommended the city proceed with its transition to the Surrey Police Service rather than return to the RCMP.

Premier Eby says B.C. officials will brief Surrey mayor, council over police dispute

B.C. introduces exemptions for children, spouses living in 55-plus stratas

B.C. introduces exemptions for children, spouses living in 55-plus stratas
The B.C. government says it has now expanded the list of exemptions to allow those under 55 to remain at those properties to include their future children, dependants or partners.

B.C. introduces exemptions for children, spouses living in 55-plus stratas