Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Air quality advisory issued for parts of Interior BC

Air quality advisory issued for parts of Interior BC
Environment Canada has issued an air quality advisory for Prince George and the surrounding area due to high concentrations of coarse particulate matter, or dust. It says dust levels tend to be highest around busy roads and industrial operations.  

Air quality advisory issued for parts of Interior BC

US man sentenced to 2.5 years in prison for firearms charges: CBSA

US man sentenced to 2.5 years in prison for firearms charges: CBSA
The Canada Border Services Agency says a man from the United States has been sentenced to 30 months in prison after pleading guilty to the possession of loaded, restricted and prohibited firearms without a license. A statement from the service says the man was referred for secondary screening while trying to enter Canada at the Pacific Highway border crossing in March.

US man sentenced to 2.5 years in prison for firearms charges: CBSA

Police watchdog investigating Vancouver Police related incident

Police watchdog investigating Vancouver Police related incident
B-C's police watchdog says it's investigating an incident in Vancouver in which one man was seriously injured. The Independent Investigations Office says Vancouver police reported that a man had been arrested and taken to the department's jail cells last Sunday afternoon.

Police watchdog investigating Vancouver Police related incident

Metrotown Skytrain station closed: Burnaby RCMP

Metrotown Skytrain station closed: Burnaby RCMP
Burnaby RCMP is advising the public that Metrotown station is shut down due to an ongoing police incident. Burnaby RCMP is looking into the matter alongside Transit Police and to have the situation resovled at the earliest. 

Metrotown Skytrain station closed: Burnaby RCMP

IHIT identifies Surrey, Guildford shooting victim as Jayden Prasad

IHIT identifies Surrey, Guildford shooting victim as Jayden Prasad
IHIT has identified the victim of the Surrey Guildford shooting on Tuesday as 20 year old Jayden Prasad of Surrey. Mr. Prasad was known to police and initial information suggests that this was a targeted incident with ties to the BC Gang Conflict.   

IHIT identifies Surrey, Guildford shooting victim as Jayden Prasad

Sikh teacher in Canada charged with sexual offences involving kids

Sikh teacher in Canada charged with sexual offences involving kids
Bhupinder Singh Sonu, who made his first appearance at Surrey Provincial Court on Tuesday, has been charged with three counts each of sexual interference and sexual exploitation involving three different victims. 

Sikh teacher in Canada charged with sexual offences involving kids