Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Beach stabbings among 1800 incidents over hot weekend: Vancouver Police

Beach stabbings among 1800 incidents over hot weekend: Vancouver Police
VPD officers responded to more than 1800 incidents between Friday and Monday, an increase of 36 per cent from the same time last year. That included 28 calls to the beaches, a 250 per cent increase from the same time last year.

Beach stabbings among 1800 incidents over hot weekend: Vancouver Police

Air quality advisory lifted for Vancouver

Air quality advisory lifted for Vancouver
The regional district had issued the advisory yesterday in response to high concentrations of ground-level ozone. The district says ground-level ozone is formed when pollution from burning fossil fuels reacts with sunlight.

Air quality advisory lifted for Vancouver

Stabbing in New Westminster leaves woman with serious injuries

Stabbing in New Westminster leaves woman with serious injuries
It happened last Thursday in the courtyard of a multi-family building, but the suspect had fled the scene by the time officers arrived. Police say the suspect was arrested yesterday and charges are pending.

Stabbing in New Westminster leaves woman with serious injuries

Surrey's school system infrastructure deemed crisis, with 400 portables in use

Surrey's school system infrastructure deemed crisis, with 400 portables in use
Surrey School District saw more than 2,200 new students enroll this past September, bringing the student population to over 78,0000. Based on population estimates, enrolment is projected to continue increasing at a rapid pace in almost every community. 

Surrey's school system infrastructure deemed crisis, with 400 portables in use

10 held for selling fake ayurvedic medicines in Delhi, Lucknow

10 held for selling fake ayurvedic medicines in Delhi, Lucknow
The accused were identified as Vikas Pal, Sonu Pal, Rahul Singh, Samar, Ugarsen Singh, Jitender Kumar Singh, Rohit Singh, Satish Singh, Rajesh Singh and Ashutosh Kumar. The official said that they have also recovered 42 mobile phones, nine laptops and inferior quality medicines and data of 'Hakim Suleman group'.

10 held for selling fake ayurvedic medicines in Delhi, Lucknow

B.C. casinos will require all to show government ID under self-exclusion program

B.C. casinos will require all to show government ID under self-exclusion program
The corporation says the measure will be rolled out this summer, with more details to be announced in coming weeks, including the implementation date. It says security staff will scan IDs that will be automatically checked against a list of people who are taking part in the Game Break self-exclusion program.

B.C. casinos will require all to show government ID under self-exclusion program