Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. public school teachers ratify new contract

B.C. public school teachers ratify new contract
It boosts annual salaries for new teachers as much as $8,500 by the end of the third year while B.C.'s highest-paid educators will earn up to $13,500 more over the same period, which Johnston says pushes them above the $100,000-per-year threshold for the first time.

B.C. public school teachers ratify new contract

Arctic cold descends on parts of B.C.

Arctic cold descends on parts of B.C.
Arctic outflow warnings have been posted for B.C.’s central and northern coasts, with the wind chill predicted at minus 20. Special weather statements are also up for most of Vancouver Island and the south coast, with icy conditions and wind chills near minus 10.

Arctic cold descends on parts of B.C.

Street drugs kill another 179 people in B.C.

Street drugs kill another 179 people in B.C.
The coroner says the October statistics show that illicit drugs caused the deaths of 1,827 people in B.C. in the first 10 months of this year. Chief coroner Lisa Lapointe says the increased toxicity and variability of street drugs has created an environment where everyone who uses substances is at risk.  

Street drugs kill another 179 people in B.C.

Metro Vancouver storm creates traffic chaos

Metro Vancouver storm creates traffic chaos
Several crashes blocked the Alex Fraser Bridge, one of the main arteries over the Fraser River. The route was closed for hours in both directions over safety concerns, the government said.

Metro Vancouver storm creates traffic chaos

Guns seized including a Ghost gun, charges sworn against Surrey man, Baljit Singh Nijjar

Guns seized including a Ghost gun, charges sworn against Surrey man, Baljit Singh Nijjar
32-year-old Baljit Singh Nijjar of Surrey has been charged with multiple firearms charges including unauthorized possession of a prohibited/restricted firearm and possession of a prohibited/restricted firearm without a license.   

Guns seized including a Ghost gun, charges sworn against Surrey man, Baljit Singh Nijjar

Vancouver Police are investigating 2 homicides that took place a week apart

Vancouver Police are investigating 2 homicides that took place a week apart
The victim was located inside an apartment building on East Hastings near Carrall Street. VPD’s Homicide Unit has identified the victim as Joseph Kelly. No arrests have been made, and anyone with information is asked to call Vancouver Police. 

Vancouver Police are investigating 2 homicides that took place a week apart