Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Science will help solve overdose crisis: Trudeau

Science will help solve overdose crisis: Trudeau
Their meeting came just a few days after B.C.'s coroner released the overdose death toll for October of 179 people, saying the illicit drug supply has created an environment where everyone who uses substances is at risk.

Science will help solve overdose crisis: Trudeau

Toronto driver arrested for death of Indian student, Kartik Saini

Toronto driver arrested for death of Indian student, Kartik Saini
20 year old Kartik Saini was killed when his cycle was hit by a pick-up truck and dragged at the intersection of Yonge Street and St. Clair Avenue in midtown Toronto. The driver was charged on Thursday with careless driving and violating traffic signs. 

Toronto driver arrested for death of Indian student, Kartik Saini

Frigid conditions persist over much of B.C.

Frigid conditions persist over much of B.C.
A dusting of snow, no more than five centimetres, is expected in Fraser Valley, Howe Sound, Sunshine Coast, southern Gulf Islands and Metro Vancouver., potentially creating challenges for the afternoon commute, but Environment Canada predicts "significantly less" impact than Tuesday night's storm.

Frigid conditions persist over much of B.C.

Telus program accused of extra-billing in B.C.

Telus program accused of extra-billing in B.C.
The LifePlus program charges clients an annual fee of $4,650 in the first year and $3,650 in subsequent years, promising 24-7 physician care as well as services like dietitians and chiropractors.

Telus program accused of extra-billing in B.C.

41 charges laid in B.C. anti-gang investigation

41 charges laid in B.C. anti-gang investigation
In the course of the probe, they say they confiscated 22 firearms and more than 13 kilograms of illegal drugs, while also making several arrests. Police say on Wednesday, the Public Prosecution Service of Canada approved 41 charges against four men. 

41 charges laid in B.C. anti-gang investigation

B.C. expands addiction help for youth

B.C. expands addiction help for youth
Sheila Malcolmson, the minister of mental health and addictions, says it's a “historic expansion” of services for youth and the programs will be supported by about 130 new health-care workers.

B.C. expands addiction help for youth