Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

COVID-19 benefits helped economy rebound: AG

COVID-19 benefits helped economy rebound: AG
Karen Hogan estimates $4.6 billion was paid to people who were not eligible, while another $27.4 billion in payments to individuals and businesses should be further investigated. Pre-payment controls were also lacking, though the report said the federal government made some changes to those controls for individual benefits.

COVID-19 benefits helped economy rebound: AG

Snowfall warnings in effect for eastern B.C.

Snowfall warnings in effect for eastern B.C.
A mix of light snow, rain and freezing rain is in the forecast for parts Metro Vancouver, the Fraser Valley and eastern Vancouver Island. On Monday, Environment Canada says daily cold temperature records were broken in Bella Bella, Port Hardy and Squamish.  

Snowfall warnings in effect for eastern B.C.

Suspect allegedly assaulted a woman with a small child inside a Superstore: Coquitlam RCMP

Suspect allegedly assaulted a woman with a small child inside a Superstore: Coquitlam RCMP
Mounties responded to an assault that occurred inside Superstore located at 1-3000 Lougheed Hwy in Coquitlam between 4:20 p.m. and 4:40 p.m. on November 4. The suspect assaulted a woman who was seen with a small child.

Suspect allegedly assaulted a woman with a small child inside a Superstore: Coquitlam RCMP

Trudeau 'extremely worried' about hospital strain

Trudeau 'extremely worried' about hospital strain
Justin Trudeau is urging Canadians to get vaccinated against both COVID-19 and influenza and says officials will consider the advice of public health authorities when it comes to measures like mandatory masks. He says it's everyone responsibility to "step up again" to get vaccinated and keep their families and communities safe from what could also be a resurgence of COVID-19.

Trudeau 'extremely worried' about hospital strain

Fortin found not guilty in sexual assault case

Fortin found not guilty in sexual assault case
Fortin was the military officer in charge of the federal government's COVID-19 vaccine rollout until May 2021, but he was removed from that position after the allegation came to light.

Fortin found not guilty in sexual assault case

Permanent residents can apply to join Armed Forces

Permanent residents can apply to join Armed Forces
Permanent residents can now apply to join the Canadian Armed Forces, regardless of whether they have been trained by a foreign military. It's the latest effort by Canada's military to boost recruitment numbers, which are lagging well behind the target of adding 5,900 new members by March.

Permanent residents can apply to join Armed Forces