Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Former Kelowna Mayor, Colin Basran, charged with sexual assault: BC Prosecution Service

Former Kelowna Mayor, Colin Basran, charged with sexual assault: BC Prosecution Service
The police investigation was conducted by the Kelowna RCMP and reviewed by the Nelson Police Department, the statement says. Basran is set to make his first appearance related to the charge in Kelowna provincial court on Jan. 24.

Former Kelowna Mayor, Colin Basran, charged with sexual assault: BC Prosecution Service

VPD investigating the homicide of a 30 year old Burnaby man

VPD investigating the homicide of a 30 year old Burnaby man
Kevin Liew was found badly injured near Burnaby Hospital on November 17. Due to the seriousness of his injuries, he was taken to Royal Columbian Hospital, where he died Monday. 

VPD investigating the homicide of a 30 year old Burnaby man

New kids' dental benefit gets 35,000 applications

New kids' dental benefit gets 35,000 applications
The new benefit is aimed at children under the age of 12 from low- and middle-income families who do not have private insurance. Eligible families can get up to $650 per child per year to help with the cost of dental care.

New kids' dental benefit gets 35,000 applications

Covid disrupted economic integration of many immigrants: Statistics Canada

Covid disrupted economic integration of many immigrants: Statistics Canada
From 2016 to 2021, immigrants contributed to four-fifths of labour force growth in Canada, but when the pandemic first hit, recent immigrants were more likely to transition out of employment than their Canadian-born counterparts due to lockdowns. 

Covid disrupted economic integration of many immigrants: Statistics Canada

B.C. finance minister out in cabinet shuffle

B.C. finance minister out in cabinet shuffle
Robinson announced just last month that the government had a surplus windfall of $5.7 billion dollars, allowing Eby to spend on his priorities of housing, health care and public safety. With tears in her eyes, Niki Sharma stepped up to sign on as the new attorney general, taking over Eby’s job.

B.C. finance minister out in cabinet shuffle

Mint commemorates Queen with black-ringed toonie

Mint commemorates Queen with black-ringed toonie
The mint says the coin's black outer ring is intended to evoke a "mourning armband" to honour the queen, who died in September after 70 years on the throne. The mint says it will start to circulate nearly five million of the coins this month, and they will gradually appear as banks restock inventories.

Mint commemorates Queen with black-ringed toonie