Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

$100,000 reward over attack on GasLink site

$100,000 reward over attack on GasLink site
Association president Chris Gardner says the reward will go to anyone providing information leading to arrests and charges against the "thugs and criminals" behind the attack, which RCMP say caused millions of dollars in damage.

$100,000 reward over attack on GasLink site

Influx at BC Children's could mean double-bunking

Influx at BC Children's could mean double-bunking
Last week, provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry said the province was seeing a "dramatic increase" in illness and it arrived sooner than the seasonal flu usually would. Health Minister Adrian Dix said at the same time that provincial emergency rooms had been seeing a peak of up to 6,900 patients daily.

Influx at BC Children's could mean double-bunking

Premiers demand meeting with PM on health care

Premiers demand meeting with PM on health care
The provincial and territorial leaders issued their call for a sit-down with Trudeau after a closed-door meeting in Winnipeg, one month after talks with the federal government on health-care funding ended without an agreement.

Premiers demand meeting with PM on health care

B.C. respiratory illness surge is stabilizing: CDC

B.C. respiratory illness surge is stabilizing: CDC
The centre says in a new update that influenza A was the most detected virus in B.C. last week, while wastewater tests indicate a slow increase in COVID-19 infections. It says B.C. is experiencing an unusual season for respiratory illnesses with "unusual characteristics," including an intense early surge in cases and the flu-related deaths of children and youth.  

B.C. respiratory illness surge is stabilizing: CDC

Woman suffering from gunshot wounds inside vehicle dies: Coquitlam RCMP

Woman suffering from gunshot wounds inside vehicle dies: Coquitlam RCMP
Police found a woman suffering from gunshot wounds inside a vehicle and immediately began lifesaving measures. The woman later passed away due to her injuries on scene. This is believed to be an isolated incident.

Woman suffering from gunshot wounds inside vehicle dies: Coquitlam RCMP

Bivalent COVID booster OK'd for kids

Bivalent COVID booster OK'd for kids
The Pfizer vaccine is the first "bivalent" shot to be approved for use in children. Health Canada says in a press release that after the thorough review, it has found the vaccine is safe and effective and that its benefits outweigh any potential risks when used as a booster dose.

Bivalent COVID booster OK'd for kids