Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Five B.C. kids died from flu in November

Five B.C. kids died from flu in November
Before the COVID-19 pandemic, an average five to six kids died per flu season across Canada, data from a national surveillance network administered by the Canadian Paediatric Association known as IMPACT shows.  

Five B.C. kids died from flu in November

Maintenance problems led to fatal B.C. crash: TSB

Maintenance problems led to fatal B.C. crash: TSB
The lone pilot, who was also the owner of E & B Helicopters Ltd., died when the chopper slammed into a building and burst into flames. No one was hurt on the ground.   

Maintenance problems led to fatal B.C. crash: TSB

Hundreds of permanent residents apply to military

Hundreds of permanent residents apply to military
Chief of the defence staff Gen. Wayne Eyre officially opened the military’s doors to all permanent residents in October, in direct response to an unprecedented personnel crisis that has left the Armed Forces scrambling for new recruits. Defence Minister Anita Anand publicly announced the measure, which went into effect on Oct. 18, on Monday.  

Hundreds of permanent residents apply to military

Liberals introduce bill to strengthen child care

Liberals introduce bill to strengthen child care
The Liberal government brought in a national child-care plan that would cut daycare fees by an average of 50 per cent by the end of this year — and down to an average of $10 per day by 2026.

Liberals introduce bill to strengthen child care

One dead, one arrested in Surrey stabbing

One dead, one arrested in Surrey stabbing
When officers arrived, they found a woman with life-threatening injuries. She was rushed to hospital, where she died of her injuries. Police found and arrested one suspect.

One dead, one arrested in Surrey stabbing

Chen exits B.C. cabinet, citing trauma recovery

Chen exits B.C. cabinet, citing trauma recovery
Chen says in a statement released by the office of Premier David Eby on Tuesday that she asked him not to consider her in his cabinet shuffle, while she focuses on herself and her son and takes "time and space to heal."

Chen exits B.C. cabinet, citing trauma recovery