Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

More health investment needs results: Trudeau

More health investment needs results: Trudeau
The meetings in Vancouver are the first time all of Canada's health ministers have gathered in person since 2018. The premiers met in July, when they asked the federal government to increase health transfers to 35 per cent, up from what they said was 22 per cent funding.  

More health investment needs results: Trudeau

Wind, snow hit parts of B.C. for another day

Wind, snow hit parts of B.C. for another day
Strong winds continue to buffet parts of coastal B.C. and the central Interior, packing gusts of at least 110 kilometres per hour along the north and central coasts, pushing wind chill factors in Terrace and elsewhere to -20 or lower.

Wind, snow hit parts of B.C. for another day

Relentless toll for overdose deaths: BC Coroner

Relentless toll for overdose deaths: BC Coroner
The service says 171 people died of toxic drugs in September, bringing the total for the year to 1,644, the largest number ever recorded for the first nine months of a calendar year.

Relentless toll for overdose deaths: BC Coroner

Immigrants successful at finding jobs in Canada: Survey

Immigrants successful at finding jobs in Canada: Survey
Immigrants who arrived in Canada over the past five years had an employment rate of 70.7 per cent, a higher rate than October 2019, pre-pandemic, the Labour Force Survey data 2022 released by Statistics Canada said.

Immigrants successful at finding jobs in Canada: Survey

Health ministers meeting in B.C. this week

Health ministers meeting in B.C. this week
The meeting comes after Canada's premiers met in Victoria last July, where they asked Ottawa to boost the Canada Health Transfer, the money each jurisdiction gets for health care, to 35 per cent, up from what they said amounts to 22 per cent.

Health ministers meeting in B.C. this week

Playland invests $9M in Canada's fastest new roller coaster

Playland invests $9M in Canada's fastest new roller coaster
The new linear synchronous motor (LSM) launch coaster will occupy the previous location of the retired Corkscrew Coaster, and construction will begin in 2023 with opening targeted for 2024. This is the largest single attraction investment made by Playland and signals a bright future for Playland.

Playland invests $9M in Canada's fastest new roller coaster