Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Man hurt in Surrey shooting not expected to live

Man hurt in Surrey shooting not expected to live
A police statement says the 24-year-old was shot late Thursday night and was rushed to hospital but is not expected to survive. A second shooting was reported about four kilometres away in the neighbouring municipality of Delta, roughly an hour after the Surrey attack.  

Man hurt in Surrey shooting not expected to live

Overnight shooting in Delta injures one, deemed gang related

Overnight shooting in Delta injures one, deemed gang related
Via release, police say that this is a targeted shooting and appears to be related to the Lower Mainland Gang Conflict and the victim was the target. The victim has been transported to the hospital for treatment.

Overnight shooting in Delta injures one, deemed gang related

Payments for GST rebate boost to go out today

Payments for GST rebate boost to go out today
A bill introduced by the Liberal government to temporarily double the rebate became law last month with unanimous support from opposition parties. The NDP has long advocated for the measure to help low- and modest-income Canadians cope with the rising cost of living.

Payments for GST rebate boost to go out today

Shooting in Surrey sends one to hospital

Shooting in Surrey sends one to hospital
RCMP were called to the 92nd Avenue and King George Boulevard area in the neighbourhood of Whalley just after 10 p.m. Thursday for a report of a shooting. When officers arrived, they found the injured victim.  

Shooting in Surrey sends one to hospital

Storms ease severe drought for B.C.'s south coast

Storms ease severe drought for B.C.'s south coast
The province's online drought map shows most of southern B.C., including east Vancouver Island and Metro Vancouver, is now ranked at drought Level 3, which means adverse drought impacts are possible. That's a drop from the most severe Level 5 rating, which covered much of the Island and inner south coast until this week.

Storms ease severe drought for B.C.'s south coast

Health Canada greenlights updated Moderna booster

Health Canada greenlights updated Moderna booster
It comes two months after Health Canada authorized a bivalent booster from Moderna that targeted the Omicron BA.1 subvariant and the original strain. Health Canada says a bivalent booster triggers "a strong immune response" against both of the more recent Omicron subvariants,as well as the original SARS-CoV-2 virus strains.

Health Canada greenlights updated Moderna booster