Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Dental care benefit passes third reading

Dental care benefit passes third reading
Dental care is a pillar of the supply and confidence deal between the Liberals and the NDP. The Liberals promised to launch a federal dental care insurance program by the end of 2022, starting with coverage for children from low- and middle-income families.

Dental care benefit passes third reading

B.C. wife of ISIS fighter released on bail

B.C. wife of ISIS fighter released on bail
Under the bail conditions, Polman is prohibited from possessing a cellphone or any other device capable of connecting to the internet, and from driving any motorized vehicle. She cannot possess any documents related to a terrorist group or leave B.C. without the consent of her bail supervisor, and she must be electronically monitored and abide by a 9 p.m. curfew.

B.C. wife of ISIS fighter released on bail

Food bank usage hit all-time high: report

Food bank usage hit all-time high: report
The report, which looked at data from more than 4,750 food banks and community organizations, said the skyrocketing cost of food and housing, as well as high inflation and lowsocial assistance rates, have contributed to the rise in food bank usage. Kirstin Beardsley, the CEO of Food Banks Canada, called the numbers "devastating."

Food bank usage hit all-time high: report

Federal deficit comes in lower than expected

Federal deficit comes in lower than expected
According to public accounts documents released Thursday, the federal deficit for the 2021-22 fiscal year was less than expected because of Canada's strong economic recovery from the pandemic and the winding-down of pandemic supports. The federal deficit was $90.2 billion, while the 2022 budget projected it would come in at $113.8 billion.

Federal deficit comes in lower than expected

New B.C. premier David Eby to be sworn in Nov. 18

New B.C. premier David Eby to be sworn in Nov. 18
The Office of the Premier says in a news release that the ceremony to make Eby B.C.'s 37th premier will take place at Government House, with further details to be provided soon. Eby became premier-designate last week after being acclaimed as leader of the New Democrats, about four months after Horgan announced his impending retirement for health reasons.

New B.C. premier David Eby to be sworn in Nov. 18

Bridgeport Road closed in Richmond

Bridgeport Road closed in Richmond
Bridgeport Road is closed, between Viking Way and No. 6 Road, due to downed hydro lines. Traffic is being diverted.  BC Hydro is en route. 

Bridgeport Road closed in Richmond