Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Senate committee calls for B.C. flooding plan

Senate committee calls for B.C. flooding plan
Last November, historic rainfall caused flooding of 15,000 hectares of land, affecting more than 1,000 farms and 2.5 million livestock, washing out highway and railway infrastructure, and causing an estimated $285 million in damage.  

Senate committee calls for B.C. flooding plan

Surrey RCMP arrest a 17 year old Calgary resident upon seizure of two stolen vehicles with full jerry cans inside

Surrey RCMP arrest a 17 year old Calgary resident upon seizure of two stolen vehicles with full jerry cans inside
Mounties set up surveillance on the vehicle, which lead to the arrest of one youth, and the recovery of two stolen vehicles. Both recovered vehicles were found to have jerry cans full of gasoline inside. A 17-year-old Calgary resident has been charged with possession of stolen property and remains in custody. 

Surrey RCMP arrest a 17 year old Calgary resident upon seizure of two stolen vehicles with full jerry cans inside

Behind B.C.'s fondness for fireworks on Halloween

Behind B.C.'s fondness for fireworks on Halloween
Fireworks have long been part of Halloween in B.C.'s Lower Mainland and historians suggest the tradition may involve a combination of English and Chinese heritage. While they remain a noisy Halloween fixture in many communities, they are now often subject to regulation.

Behind B.C.'s fondness for fireworks on Halloween

B.C.'s next premier meets with lieutenant-governor

B.C.'s next premier meets with lieutenant-governor
British Columbia's incoming premier David Eby has been asked by the province's lieutenant-governor to begin the process of forming government in a step toward transitioning into his new role. However, Eby will remain premier-designate until he is officially sworn in as premier at a date that has yet to be announced.  

B.C.'s next premier meets with lieutenant-governor

Drenching rain predicted after B.C. drought, heat

Drenching rain predicted after B.C. drought, heat
The ministry says the River Forecast Centre is monitoring weather patterns and river conditions for flood hazards, while Emergency Management BC is working with communities to prepare for possible floods.

Drenching rain predicted after B.C. drought, heat

Funeral plan released for B.C. Const. Shaelyn Yang

Funeral plan released for B.C. Const. Shaelyn Yang
The 31-year-old officer was stabbed to death last week in a Metro Vancouver park while she helped a City of Burnaby employee notify a man in a tent that he wasn't allowed to live in the park. Thirty-seven-year-old Jongwon Ham has been charged with first-degree murder in Yang's death and remains in custody.

Funeral plan released for B.C. Const. Shaelyn Yang