Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Truss exit may stall Canada-U.K. trade deal

Truss exit may stall Canada-U.K. trade deal
U.K. Prime Minister Liz Truss stepped down today after a mere six weeks in office following ministers' resignations over her controversial tax policies. The ruling Conservative Party says it will elect a new leader in a week, who will then install a new cabinet.

Truss exit may stall Canada-U.K. trade deal

Two homicides believed connected in Saanich, B.C.

Two homicides believed connected in Saanich, B.C.
One man is in custody. Police say the public is not believed to be at risk. A statement from the Saanich Police Department says its officers are working with major crime investigators.

Two homicides believed connected in Saanich, B.C.

David Eby to be named B.C. NDP leader Friday

David Eby to be named B.C. NDP leader Friday
Eby, the New Democrat government's former attorney general and minister responsible for housing, will officially be declared the leader of the B.C. New Democratic Party Friday, which paves the way for him to be sworn in as premier.

David Eby to be named B.C. NDP leader Friday

Dental benefit for children would cost $703M: PBO

Dental benefit for children would cost $703M: PBO
The benefit would provide up to $650 annually to cover the dental costs for children whose families who don't already have coverage and earn less than $90,000 per year.  

Dental benefit for children would cost $703M: PBO

B.C. NDP leadership contender ousted as candidate

B.C. NDP leadership contender ousted as candidate
A report by NDP chief electoral officer Elizabeth Cull obtained by The Canadian Press concluded Appadurai "engaged in serious improper conduct" by working with third parties for membership drives on her behalf. The report concluded that the harm from the misconduct can't be remedied with anything short of disqualification of the Appadurai Campaign.

B.C. NDP leadership contender ousted as candidate

Road closure in the area of 140th Street in Surrey due to residential fire

Road closure in the area of 140th Street in Surrey due to residential fire
On Thursday morning just before 8:00 a.m. a police officer discovered a residential fire in the 14000-block of 100A Avenue while passing through the area. Surrey Fire Service was notified and police worked quickly to evacuate neighboring residences.  Multiple persons have been displaced as a result of this fire.

Road closure in the area of 140th Street in Surrey due to residential fire