Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Health complaints top B.C. advocate's list

Health complaints top B.C. advocate's list
Jay Chalke's annual report for 2021-2022 says the office received almost 1,300 complaints or inquiries focused on programs and services provided by the Ministry of Health. The figure is more than 15 per cent of all 8,215 complaints lodged with the office in that period.  

Health complaints top B.C. advocate's list

Man shot dead near UBC golf course identified as Vishal Walia, shooting linked to gang conflict

Man shot dead near UBC golf course identified as Vishal Walia, shooting linked to gang conflict
The victim has been identified as 38-year old Vishal Walia. Investigators believe this to have been a targeted shooting in relation to the lower mainland gang conflict. Vancouver fire crews put out a vehicle fire around the same time not far from the scene of the shooting.  

Man shot dead near UBC golf course identified as Vishal Walia, shooting linked to gang conflict

Charges laid against robbery suspect: Surrey RCMP

Charges laid against robbery suspect: Surrey RCMP
On October 4, 2022, 3 charges against 35-year-old Daniel Richardson Lloyd were laid which included: 2 counts of robbery and 1 count of attempt robbery. Lloyd is waiting on a court date for his appearance. 

Charges laid against robbery suspect: Surrey RCMP

A man and a woman found dead in a vehicle near a school in Burnaby

A man and a woman found dead in a vehicle near a school in Burnaby
When police arrived, they located one man and one woman deceased in a vehicle.  IHIT has has taken conduct of the investigation. Homicide investigators are looking for witnesses or anyone with dash-cam video.

A man and a woman found dead in a vehicle near a school in Burnaby

Officials urge calm as B.C. drought forces cuts

Officials urge calm as B.C. drought forces cuts
The Sunshine Coast Regional District, District of Sechelt and shishalh Nation have declared a state of local emergency that takes effect Tuesday at midnight as the system that supplies water to about 90 per cent of the homes and businesses in the Sechelt area is at "imminent risk" of running dry.

Officials urge calm as B.C. drought forces cuts

B.C. to expand reach in opioid makers lawsuit

B.C. to expand reach in opioid makers lawsuit
Purdue Pharma Canada is one of 40 manufacturers and distributors named in the class action, but earlier this year, the province reached a settlement with the company to recover the health-related costs to the highly addictive opioids.

B.C. to expand reach in opioid makers lawsuit