Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

VPD searches for man who sucker-punched a woman

VPD searches for man who sucker-punched a woman
At 6:30 Wednesday evening, the 29-year-old woman was walking near Cambie and Pender streets when a man approached and suddenly lashed out. He punched her in the face, knocking her to the ground. The suspect was last seen running west on Dunsmuir Street.

VPD searches for man who sucker-punched a woman

Economy to slow considerably this year: PBO

Economy to slow considerably this year: PBO
In his latest economic and fiscal outlook, budget watchdog Yves Giroux says he expects the Bank of Canada to raise its key interest rate to four per cent by the end of the year, a move which is in line with financial markets' expectations.

Economy to slow considerably this year: PBO

Charges as men drugged, robbed while using escorts

Charges as men drugged, robbed while using escorts
Surrey RCMP says an investigation began after its community response unit linked multiple reports of victims being drugged and robbed. In one case in February 2021, a man died, allegedly after being given a substance during an encounter.

Charges as men drugged, robbed while using escorts

Drought and moths push Stanley Park trees to brink

Drought and moths push Stanley Park trees to brink
The trees of Stanley Park, typically the green jewel of Vancouver's downtown core, just can't catch a break. Experts say large numbers of browning trees appear dead or dying, because of a one-two combination of foliage-munching grubs and an exceptionally dry weather spell, with the last appreciable rain falling in Vancouver on Sept. 4.

Drought and moths push Stanley Park trees to brink

3 vehicle collision leaves one dead in Abbotsford

3 vehicle collision leaves one dead in Abbotsford
Upon arrival, emergency service workers located a three-vehicle collision. One of the drivers was found suffering from serious life-threatening injuries and was transported to the hospital, but sadly succumbed to his injuries.

3 vehicle collision leaves one dead in Abbotsford

Suspect arrested and charged following assault of teenager in Westminster Pier Park

Suspect arrested and charged following assault of teenager in Westminster Pier Park
The injuries sustained by the teenager required hospital treatment. Following a thorough investigation, police identified and arrested the suspect. 30-year-old Devin Monteleone of Burnaby, BC, has been charged with the assault causing bodily harm. 

Suspect arrested and charged following assault of teenager in Westminster Pier Park