Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Victoria man reported missing in Spain found dead

Victoria man reported missing in Spain found dead
A statement from Victoria police says 67-year-old Scott Graham was last seen in Madrid. The statement says his body has been located but it doesn't say where or when. He was suffering from a medical condition that had the potential to become life-threatening without medication and the alert in August said Graham's family was "deeply concerned" about his disappearance. 

Victoria man reported missing in Spain found dead

Long weekend shooting results in victim driving himself to hospital

Long weekend shooting results in victim driving himself to hospital
Initial indications are that it was a targeted incident. Although the motive of the shooting remains under investigation, the victim is known to police and has gang affiliations. At the time of the shooting the victim was driving a 2016 White Honda Civic and travelling northbound on Scott Road. The suspect vehicle is described as a dark sedan.

Long weekend shooting results in victim driving himself to hospital

No major issues after B.C.'s first fall windstorm

No major issues after B.C.'s first fall windstorm
The first significant windstorm of British Columbia's unseasonably warm fall buffeted much of the province Monday, but only a few hundred customers remained without power less than 24 hours later. BC Hydro says heavy wind gusts affected the northern and central Interior, leaving some residents of Prince George, Smithers, Burns Lake and Fort Nelson in the dark overnight.

No major issues after B.C.'s first fall windstorm

Sentencing for Dutch harasser in Amanda Todd case

Sentencing for Dutch harasser in Amanda Todd case
Aydin Coban, who is in his mid-40s, was convicted in August on charges of extortion, harassment, communication with a young person to commit a sexual offence and possession and distribution of child pornography.

Sentencing for Dutch harasser in Amanda Todd case

Surrey RCMP need the public's help in identifying 2 South Asian males who violated the justice system

Surrey RCMP need the public's help in identifying 2 South Asian males who violated the justice system
On September 11, 2022, a Surrey RCMP officer was surrounded by a group of males in the parking lot of the Strawberry Hill business complex, after he served a violation ticket to one of the individuals. Earlier this week on October 4, 2022, a 22 year-old man was arrested for intimidation of the justice system participant and obstruction of a peace officer,. 

Surrey RCMP need the public's help in identifying 2 South Asian males who violated the justice system

One in custody after police standoff in Vancouver

One in custody after police standoff in Vancouver
Police say around 5:30 p.m. Thursday, staff at a bank near Main Street and East Pender Street called 911 to report a robbery. When officers arrived, they spotted the suspect attempting to take off in a cab.

One in custody after police standoff in Vancouver