Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. in climate pact with U.S. West Coast states

B.C. in climate pact with U.S. West Coast states
The statement of co-operation also aims to accelerate the transition to a low-carbon economy and to protect communities from climate disasters including droughts, wildfires and heat waves. The four jurisdictions have differing climate agendas but share the goal of reducing greenhouse gas emissions at least 80 per cent by 2050.

B.C. in climate pact with U.S. West Coast states

Wildfire in Metro Vancouver park now under control

Wildfire in Metro Vancouver park now under control
A statement from the district says a 50-person firefighting crew has established a 15-metre "wet line" around the perimeter of the fire in Coquitlam's Minnekhada Regional Park, preventing any further spread. It says ground crews are now focused on dousing remaining hot spots.  

Wildfire in Metro Vancouver park now under control

Opposition BC Liberals call for MLA pay freeze

Opposition BC Liberals call for MLA pay freeze
The Opposition BC Liberals are calling for an all-party pay freeze as a show of solidarity with people struggling to make ends meet during inflationary times. Liberal house leader Todd Stone says members of the legislature could be in line for a salary increase in April of 10 per cent or more, amounting to raises of at least $10,000.

Opposition BC Liberals call for MLA pay freeze

B.C. pharmacists welcome new prescription powers

B.C. pharmacists welcome new prescription powers
As the changes are rolled out, B.C. pharmacists said the smoothness of the transition will depend on the reimbursement model, staffing supports and whether there's an added administrative burden. Like many health professionals, pharmacists have faced burnout and labour shortages since the COVID-19 pandemic began.

B.C. pharmacists welcome new prescription powers

Canada confirms 1,406 monkeypox cases

Canada confirms 1,406 monkeypox cases
Of the confirmed cases, 674 are from Ontario, 521 from Quebec, 162 from British Columbia, 41 from Alberta, three from Saskatchewan, two from the Yukon and one each from Nova Scotia, Manitoba and New Brunswick, the health agency added on Wednesday.

Canada confirms 1,406 monkeypox cases

11 year old boy struck by a minivan in Richmond in a suspected hit-and-run

11 year old boy struck by a minivan in Richmond in a suspected hit-and-run
Shortly before 9 a.m. on Wednesday frontline Richmond RCMP officers responded to the area of No. 1 Road and Tucker Avenue after reports of an 11-year old boy being struck. The boy was pushing his bicycle in a marked pedestrian crosswalk and struck by a gray minivan. This minivan then proceeded to sideswipe another vehicle before fleeing the scene.

11 year old boy struck by a minivan in Richmond in a suspected hit-and-run