Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Canada overdue in Indo-Pacific strategy: experts

Canada overdue in Indo-Pacific strategy: experts
A new book urges the Liberals to outline its friends, foes and priorities in the region spanning India to British Columbia. Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly said this spring that a strategy was imminent, but her office still has no timeline for when it will be released.  

Canada overdue in Indo-Pacific strategy: experts

B.C. cabinet minister Melanie Mark to take leave

B.C. cabinet minister Melanie Mark to take leave
Mark was the minister for tourism, arts, culture and sport. She will continue to represent the riding of Vancouver-Mount Pleasant in the legislature. Mark is the first First Nations woman elected to B.C.'s legislative assembly, and the first to serve as a cabinet minister.

B.C. cabinet minister Melanie Mark to take leave

Nearly 1,500 drug deaths in B.C. this year

Nearly 1,500 drug deaths in B.C. this year
New data from the service cites 169 drug deaths last month, representing a 12 per cent decrease from July, and equating to about 5.5 deaths per day. It says illicit drug toxicity is the leading cause of unnatural death in B.C., with an average of 184 drug deaths each month since October 2020.

Nearly 1,500 drug deaths in B.C. this year

B.C. prepares for flu and COVID-19 this fall

B.C. prepares for flu and COVID-19 this fall
Officials said during a technical briefing today that pressures on the health system including staffing shortages are being factored into planning for hospital bed capacity. This is expected to be the first season the flu has a significant comeback since pandemic restrictions dampened the spread of it and other respiratory illnesses over the past two years.

B.C. prepares for flu and COVID-19 this fall

Young female student randomly attacked in Downtown, hit over the back of the head with a pole

Young female student randomly attacked in Downtown, hit over the back of the head with a pole
The victim was injured and required medical attention, however the injuries are not life threatening. Several officers flooded the area in search of the suspect, however he has not yet been located.

Young female student randomly attacked in Downtown, hit over the back of the head with a pole

WATCH: Surrey Mayor announces new swimming pool for North Surrey

WATCH: Surrey Mayor announces new swimming pool for North Surrey
With a rapidly growing population, the Mayor and Safe Surrey Coalition recognize the need for more infrastructure across the City of Surrey. Recently announcing his plan to build a new swimming pool for residents living in Cloverdale and Clayton at the Clayton Community Centre, Mayor Doug McCallum has now turned his attention to North Surrey. 

WATCH: Surrey Mayor announces new swimming pool for North Surrey