Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Surrey anesthesiologist charged with sexual assault

Surrey anesthesiologist charged with sexual assault
 54-year-old, Olumuyiwa Bamgbade was charged with one count of sexual assault. Doctor Bamgbade has been operating the pain clinic in Surrey since October 2021 and prior to that practiced in Delta, BC. 

Surrey anesthesiologist charged with sexual assault

Canada must adapt to climate change faster: report

Canada must adapt to climate change faster: report
In its analysis, called Damage Control, the institute looked at projected economic growth and analyzed the impact of different scenarios based on how many greenhouse gas emissions are eliminated and what we do to prepare for more-frequent severe weather.

Canada must adapt to climate change faster: report

21 year old female suffers injuries after Abbotsford hit and run

21 year old female suffers injuries after Abbotsford hit and run
The investigation is in the early stages with the primary goal of identifying the suspect vehicle involved. Investigators are seeking witnesses and dashcam footage from anyone who may have been in the area of George Ferguson Way at Nelson Place just before & after the collision. 

21 year old female suffers injuries after Abbotsford hit and run

VPD issues safety warning after Facebook Marketplace robberies

VPD issues safety warning after Facebook Marketplace robberies
A 21-year-old man was trying to sell a used phone when an unknown buyer named Matthew asked to meet up around 7 p.m. in Champlain Heights on Saturday, September 24. When the victim arrived, he was met by two men who appeared to be in their late teens. They robbed him of his phone and hit the victim in the head with a weapon, then attacked him with bear spray. 

VPD issues safety warning after Facebook Marketplace robberies

60 year old male pedestrian passes away after early morning crash in Delta

60 year old male pedestrian passes away after early morning crash in Delta
The vehicle and driver involved in the collision had left the scene before police arrival; however, the driver has since come forward and is cooperating with investigators. The pedestrian was transported to the hospital however, despite medical intervention, succumbed to his injuries.

60 year old male pedestrian passes away after early morning crash in Delta

Vancouver Police investigate pedestrian fatality

Vancouver Police investigate pedestrian fatality
Vancouver Police are investigating the city’s eighth pedestrian fatality of the year, which occurred around 12:30 p.m. today on West Georgia Street. Police believe a woman was struck by a charter bus near West Georgia and Cardero Street.

Vancouver Police investigate pedestrian fatality