Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Canfor reducing production capacity in B.C.

Canfor reducing production capacity in B.C.
The lumber producer says it is taking a two-week curtailment starting Sept. 26 at the majority of its solid wood facilities in B.C. Production will resume with reduced operating schedules until the end of the year.

Canfor reducing production capacity in B.C.

Amber Alert cancelled for missing child

Amber Alert cancelled for missing child
A statement from Vancouver police says the three-year-old and his mother were found near Calgary early Tuesday. Police say the boy is now receiving care and his mother has been arrested.

Amber Alert cancelled for missing child

Sentencing hearing begins for Amanda Todd harasser

Sentencing hearing begins for Amanda Todd harasser
A B.C. Supreme Court jury convicted Aydin Coban last month of extortion, harassment, communication with a young person to commit a sexual offence and possession and distribution of child pornography.

Sentencing hearing begins for Amanda Todd harasser

Structure fire in Surrey lands 2 in hospital, road closures in effect

Structure fire in Surrey lands 2 in hospital, road closures in effect
At approximately 3:54 pm this afternoon, Surrey RCMP received a report of a structure fire in the 14800 block of 75a avenue. Upon arrival, police found the residence fully engulfed, and firefighters were hard at work trying to contain the fire. Police and fire crews are on scene. It is expected that traffic in the area will be disrupted for some time.

Structure fire in Surrey lands 2 in hospital, road closures in effect

Late night shooting in Maple Ridge over the weekend lands man in hospital

Late night shooting in Maple Ridge over the weekend lands man in hospital
When police arrived they confirmed the man, a 51 year old Maple Ridge resident, was suffering from gunshot wounds. The man was transported to hospital with serious injuries. The house remains secured by police while they execute a search warrant.  

Late night shooting in Maple Ridge over the weekend lands man in hospital

Expert flags potential for dental-care clawbacks as result of federal program

Expert flags potential for dental-care clawbacks as result of federal program
The government plans to offer cheques of up to $650 to qualifying low- and middle-income families with children under the age of 12 to help pay for their dental needs. Qualifying families will have to attest that they don't have private insurance, that they have out-of-pocket dental expenses and that they will keep their receipts.

Expert flags potential for dental-care clawbacks as result of federal program