Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Altercation between youth groups results in youth being stabbed in Newton

Altercation between youth groups results in youth being stabbed in Newton
Police say they are working to identify two suspects, they are described as South Asian youths believed to be between 15 and 17 years old, who left the area before police arrived. They say one of the suspects may have sustained superficial injures during the altercation.

Altercation between youth groups results in youth being stabbed in Newton

Search warrant at a Surrey convenience store leads to seizure of fentanyl and large amount of cash

Search warrant at a Surrey convenience store leads to seizure of fentanyl and large amount of cash
On August 30, 2022, Surrey RCMP Drug Unit executed a search warrant at a convenience store located in the 10200-block of City Parkway.  Investigation lead the police to believe that the business was being used to facilitate drug trafficking in the area.

Search warrant at a Surrey convenience store leads to seizure of fentanyl and large amount of cash

Canada losing internationally trained doctors

Canada losing internationally trained doctors
Doctors trained abroad arrive in the country hoping to practise but are often stymied by the costly licensing process, and they leave for countries where it is easier to get licensed. Some provinces, including Nova Scotia and Newfoundland and Labrador, are working to streamline their procedures as they welcome Ukrainian doctors fleeing the war in their country.

Canada losing internationally trained doctors

Rain, cooler weather aid B.C. wildfire crews

Rain, cooler weather aid B.C. wildfire crews
Rain in southwest B.C. also dampened the two wildfires east and southwest of Hope, including the five-square kilometre blaze that affected eastbound traffic on Highway 1, and the BC Wildfire Service says both fires are now ranked as "being held," meaning neither is likely to spread.

Rain, cooler weather aid B.C. wildfire crews

Burnaby RCMP need the public's help in finding missing man Rajesh Verma

Burnaby RCMP need the public's help in finding missing man Rajesh Verma
Burnaby RCMP is asking for the public’s assistance in locating 65-year-old Rajesh Verma. Rajesh was last seen by family in the 8800-block of Armstrong Avenue at 3:30 p.m. Thursday, September 15, 2022.  

Burnaby RCMP need the public's help in finding missing man Rajesh Verma

Former PMs to attend queen's funeral in London

Former PMs to attend queen's funeral in London
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, Gov. Gen. Mary Simon and their spouses are leading the delegation, which departs Friday, though it's unclear whether all guests will travel on the same aircraft. The group will include former governors general Michaëlle Jean and David Johnston as well as former prime ministers Kim Campbell, Jean Chrétien, Paul Martin and Stephen Harper.

Former PMs to attend queen's funeral in London