Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Man fatally shot in Burnaby, B.C., attack

Man fatally shot in Burnaby, B.C., attack
A statement from Burnaby RCMP says the attack happened just after 11 p.m. Tuesday along a busy stretch of Hastings Street near Confederation Park. The unnamed victim died at the scene.  

Man fatally shot in Burnaby, B.C., attack

Reward doubled to $500K for B.C. gondola vandalism

Reward doubled to $500K for B.C. gondola vandalism
It comes as RCMP reveal more details about their investigation and share a photo of a suspect who may have been responsible for cutting the cable on the Sea to Sky Gondola twice, in 2019 and 2020.  

Reward doubled to $500K for B.C. gondola vandalism

Schools not to blame for high COVID rates: doctor

Schools not to blame for high COVID rates: doctor
Dr. Bonnie Henry has been criticized by some parents, advocacy groups and health-care professionals who say a major jump in infections occurred during the school year among children under age 10.  

Schools not to blame for high COVID rates: doctor

B.C. shuts schools, gives workers day off Sept. 19

B.C. shuts schools, gives workers day off Sept. 19
A statement from the province says it's a national day to reflect on the "incredible life of Canada's Queen and the longest-serving monarch in British history." Prime Minister Justin Trudeau declared that Monday will be a holiday for federal government workers to mourn the Queen on the day of her state funeral.  

B.C. shuts schools, gives workers day off Sept. 19

B.C. police watchdog called after fatal shooting

B.C. police watchdog called after fatal shooting
A statement from the Mounties says members of the southeast district emergency response team attempted to arrest the man and woman, who had outstanding warrants, along Highway 3 near Keremeos on Tuesday. They say police shot the man after he allegedly pulled out a weapon, and he died at the scene.

B.C. police watchdog called after fatal shooting

A 21-year old man has been sentenced to life in prison for a 2021 shooting in Burnaby.

A 21-year old man has been sentenced to life in prison for a 2021 shooting in Burnaby.
The suspect, later identified as 21-year old Ahmed Tahir, was quickly apprehended. A second victim, who had suffered non life-threatening injuries was later identified. On May 9, 2021, the BC Prosecution Service (BCPS) laid a first degree murder charge against Tahir in relation to the homicide of Mr. Dalipi. 

A 21-year old man has been sentenced to life in prison for a 2021 shooting in Burnaby.