Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Police arrest 86 year old male suspect in sexual assault of a 6 year old boy at Metrotown

Police arrest 86 year old male suspect in sexual assault of a 6 year old boy at Metrotown
Within hours, police received a number of tips from the public and a suspect was identified. With the assistance of Burnaby RCMP’s Investigative Support Team, frontline officers arrested an 86-year-old Burnaby man. The man was transported to Burnaby detachment and later released with numerous conditions.

Police arrest 86 year old male suspect in sexual assault of a 6 year old boy at Metrotown

B.C. forecasts surplus, improved fiscal outlook

B.C. forecasts surplus, improved fiscal outlook
Finance Minister Selina Robinson says preliminary financial numbers for the first three months of 2022-23 show the province is in a strong position despite ongoing global economic risks. The quarterly report Robinson posted today also indicates financial improvements over the next three years, but includes forecasts of budget deficits for two of the three years.

B.C. forecasts surplus, improved fiscal outlook

Pierre Poilievre meets with Conservative caucus

Pierre Poilievre meets with Conservative caucus
The longtime MP cruised to the opposition leader's office with a blowout victory that saw him capture nearly all of the country's 338 ridings and nearly reach the 70 per cent support mark from party members.

Pierre Poilievre meets with Conservative caucus

Liberals say economy, inflation the focus for fall

Liberals say economy, inflation the focus for fall
Rachel Bendayan, the parliamentary secretary to the associate finance minister, says MPs all heard very clearly from constituents over the summer break just how difficult it has become to keep paying the bills. Fighting inflation is also politically critical for the Liberals with new Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre maintaining his biting criticism of the government over inflation.

Liberals say economy, inflation the focus for fall

Canada to be 'prominent' at events mourning Queen

Canada to be 'prominent' at events mourning Queen
The late queen's coffin left Balmoral Castle in Scotland on Sunday, where it was driven by hearse to the Scottish capital of Edinburgh. It will be flown to London on Tuesday, where it will eventually lie in state for the public to say their goodbyes in the four days leading up to Monday's funeral.

Canada to be 'prominent' at events mourning Queen

Female pedestrian injured in Surrey hit-and-run

Female pedestrian injured in Surrey hit-and-run
Police were called to King George Blvd near 72 Ave at about 9 p.m. Sunday. Officers say a silver sedan heading south on King George struck a woman who was crossing the street between intersections.

Female pedestrian injured in Surrey hit-and-run