Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Police blame arson for Vancouver church fire

Police blame arson for Vancouver church fire
The fire destroyed a two-storey building that housed the church and a convenience store and threatened the seven-storey Maple Hotel, temporarily displacing vulnerable residents. Const. Tania Visintin says investigators believe each of the three knew of the arson and had time to either put out the fire or call for help.  

Police blame arson for Vancouver church fire

New air passenger protection rules take effect

New air passenger protection rules take effect
Starting Thursday, airlines will be required to issue a full refund for cancellations and delays if passengers are not placed on a new flight within 48 hours, including for reasons outside of the airline's control. Previously, the passenger rights regime only required refunds for flight disruptions that were within the airline's control, which excluded situations ranging from weather to war.  

New air passenger protection rules take effect

Liberals to temporarily hike GST rebates

Liberals to temporarily hike GST rebates
Two federal sources familiar with the plan say it will look to double some GST payments for six months, include help for Canadians struggling to pay their rent and launch the first step of a national dental-care program.  

Liberals to temporarily hike GST rebates

Business as usual in Canada after Queen's death

Business as usual in Canada after Queen's death
The succession from the Queen to her eldest son Charles is automatic, without any disruption to governing bodies that sit in her name or to legislation, oaths and other legal documents issued in her name. "The phrase 'The Queen is dead, long live the King!' applies here and in the U.K."

Business as usual in Canada after Queen's death

Surrey RCMP seek to locate missing man Rohit Verma

Surrey RCMP seek to locate missing man Rohit Verma
Rohit has not gone missing before and all attempts to contact him has been negative. Police and family are concerned for his well-being. Rohit is described as South Asian male, 5’7” tall, 141 lbs, with a black beard and balding black hair.  His last known clothing description is unknown.

Surrey RCMP seek to locate missing man Rohit Verma

Prince Charles has long history with Canada, but must step into the spotlight as King

Prince Charles has long history with Canada, but must step into the spotlight as King
With the death of Queen Elizabeth II announced Thursday, Charles is set to take over as Canada's new head of state. Most recently, Charles and his wife, Camilla, travelled to Canada in May as part of the celebrations of the Queen's platinum jubilee. The three-day tour was focused on climate change, literacy and reconciliation efforts with Indigenous peoples.

Prince Charles has long history with Canada, but must step into the spotlight as King