Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Wildfire smoke continues to blanket parts of B.C.

Wildfire smoke continues to blanket parts of B.C.
The federal government's air quality index shows areas with the highest levels of potentially dangerous wood smoke include Cranbrook and Castelgar in southeastern B.C., the eastern Fraser Valley and the communities of Whistler and Squamish.

Wildfire smoke continues to blanket parts of B.C.

Surrey RCMP need the public's assistance in locating missing man Kamleshbhai Manek

Surrey RCMP need the public's assistance in locating missing man Kamleshbhai Manek
Kamleshbhai Manek was last seen on August 28, 2022 at 9:30 a.m., near the 13300 block of Old Yale Road in Surrey. Police are concerned for Kamleshbhai’s wellbeing as he has not made contact with his usual family/friends/ associates. Kamleshbhai is described as a 65-year-old South Asian male, 5’8”, 254 lbs with black hair and brown eyes.

Surrey RCMP need the public's assistance in locating missing man Kamleshbhai Manek

Beware of scam targeting seniors that dupes them of thousands of dollars: North Van RCMP

Beware of scam targeting seniors that dupes them of thousands of dollars: North Van RCMP
The suspect claimed that the woman’s grand daughter was arrested by police and needed $9000 to be released on bail. The fraudster then came to the victims’ home and picked up the money. In this incident, the suspect is described as a Caucasian woman between the ages of 20-30, 5’10 tall, long brown hair, slim build, wearing gold hoop earrings, a white top, tattoos on her left forearm, and having an accent.

Beware of scam targeting seniors that dupes them of thousands of dollars: North Van RCMP

King's accession ceremony Saturday at Rideau Hall

King's accession ceremony Saturday at Rideau Hall
The Heritage Department says the national ceremony will start with a memorial parade composed of Canadian Armed Forces members and RCMP officers along with a 96-gun salute — one for each year of her life — and a CF-18 flypast.

King's accession ceremony Saturday at Rideau Hall

Some diaspora members call for break with Crown

Some diaspora members call for break with Crown
Parmod Chhabra, the president of the India Canada Association, says he respected the Queen but blames the British Empire for many deaths in India when it ruled that country. Monir Hossain, the president of national Bangladeshi-Canadian Council, says the Queen made a "tremendous" contribution to the modern world but he criticizes the British Empire for colonizing Bangladesh.

Some diaspora members call for break with Crown

Canada's commemorations await details from U.K.

Canada's commemorations await details from U.K.
Canadian Heritage says it will hold a ceremony involving a televised church service, a memorial parade and a 96-gun salute and military flypast to honour and remember Canada's longest-serving head of state. Government officials say it will be the same day as the Queen's state funeral, and they are waiting for an announcement from Britain.

Canada's commemorations await details from U.K.