Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Canada donates up to $28 million for Pakistan

Canada donates up to $28 million for Pakistan
Emergency food, water, sanitation and health services are badly needed after monsoon rains over the last three months have left more than one-third of the country underwater. More than 33 million people are affected by the floods and with much of the country's agricultural land underwater, the Pakistani government is warning of an impending food shortage.

Canada donates up to $28 million for Pakistan

Warmer fall expected across much of Canada

Warmer fall expected across much of Canada
The network says in its fall forecast that much of Canada can expect warmer-than-normal conditions throughout September before temperatures start to drop in October. It says the amount of precipitation will vary across the country, though most parts will see fewer storms than usual.

Warmer fall expected across much of Canada

Monday is federal holiday for Queen's funeral

Monday is federal holiday for Queen's funeral
Speaking at a caucus retreat in New Brunswick today, Trudeau says "declaring an opportunity for Canadians to mourn on Monday is going to be important."  He says the government will be working with provinces and territories to ensure they're "aligned."

Monday is federal holiday for Queen's funeral

Smoke from B.C. wildfires spreads to Alberta

Smoke from B.C. wildfires spreads to Alberta
Environment Canada is maintaining advisories for a portion of northeast B.C. and the southern half of the province and has extended air quality statements across southern Alberta. It warns that fine particulates contained in the smoke are likely to increase through the day.

Smoke from B.C. wildfires spreads to Alberta

37 B.C. mayoral candidates win unopposed

37 B.C. mayoral candidates win unopposed
Nomination information collated by non-profit group CivicInfo BC shows 37 B.C. mayoral candidates automatically won after the nomination period closed on Sept. 9 at 4 p.m Among them were Burnaby Mayor Mike Hurley and Port Coquitlam Mayor Brad West, both of whom get second terms.

37 B.C. mayoral candidates win unopposed

22 year old newcomer to Canada stabbed in Chinatown over the weekend

22 year old newcomer to Canada stabbed in Chinatown over the weekend
The victim, a 22-year-old newcomer to Canada who was working for a meal-delivery service, was locking his bike to a street pole in Chinatown around 6 p.m. last night when he was approached from behind and attacked by someone he didn’t know.  

22 year old newcomer to Canada stabbed in Chinatown over the weekend