Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Teen couple faces charges in Labour Day stabbing

Teen couple faces charges in Labour Day stabbing
VPD officers were called to the Hornby Street SRO around 8 a.m. yesterday, after the 25-year-old victim walked inside with multiple stab wounds. While some officers tended to the victim’s injuries, others set out to locate the suspects, who had fled the crime scene.

Teen couple faces charges in Labour Day stabbing

B.C. to launch fall COVID-19 booster campaign

B.C. to launch fall COVID-19 booster campaign
Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry says the immunization campaign will also include more opportunities to get the flu vaccine as respiratory illnesses are expected to return after a decline due to COVID restrictions. The National Advisory Committee on Immunization recommends people receive their second booster dose at least six months or longer after their first booster.

B.C. to launch fall COVID-19 booster campaign

Burnaby morning crash claims life of 75 year old female passenger

Burnaby morning crash claims life of 75 year old female passenger
On Tuesday, September 6, at 6:30 a.m., Coquitlam RCMP frontline officers were first to respond to a report of a single vehicle collision in the 200-block of North Road, near the Coquitlam-Burnaby border. The vehicle involved left the roadway and flipped. It does not appear any other vehicles were involved.

Burnaby morning crash claims life of 75 year old female passenger

Liberal cabinet meeting in Vancouver

Liberal cabinet meeting in Vancouver
Trudeau has indicated affordability will be a key agenda item as Canadians struggle to pay their bills and inflation keeps going after bank accounts with a wrecking ball.

Liberal cabinet meeting in Vancouver

Calls to make overdose education mandatory in B.C

Calls to make overdose education mandatory in B.C
The Simon Fraser University student is among a number of advocates who deliver overdose education in B.C. schools but want such information made a mandatory part of the curriculum. The Education Ministry said it's up to each school district to determine the delivery of any programs, including whether to stock naloxone kits or train teachers how to use them. 

Calls to make overdose education mandatory in B.C

Officials plan for spread of southwest B.C. blaze

Officials plan for spread of southwest B.C. blaze
The lightning-caused fire is burning south of Highway 3 in E.C. Manning Park, roughly five kilometres southwest of the Manning Park Resort.

Officials plan for spread of southwest B.C. blaze