Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Charges in June machete attack in Vancouver

Charges in June machete attack in Vancouver
Vancouver police say the 37-year-old suspect was arrested Wednesday near the city's Chinatown neighbourhood. He is now charged with two counts of aggravated assault and remains in custody awaiting an Aug. 17 court date.

Charges in June machete attack in Vancouver

More thunderstorms threaten southern B.C.

More thunderstorms threaten southern B.C.
The BC Wildfire Service website says 45 new fires have been recorded in the last two days, including one suspected lightning-caused blaze near Monte Lake, the same area where a massive wildfire destroyed homes last year.

More thunderstorms threaten southern B.C.

'Transformative' change possible, says Anjali Appadurai, 2nd NDP leadership candidate

'Transformative' change possible, says Anjali Appadurai, 2nd NDP leadership candidate
Anjali Appadurai is the second declared candidate in the leadership contest, joining NDP member of the legislature David Eby, who stepped away from his jobs as attorney general and minister in charge of housing to run for leader.

'Transformative' change possible, says Anjali Appadurai, 2nd NDP leadership candidate

Sentencing next month for man guilty of sextortion

Sentencing next month for man guilty of sextortion
Justice Martha Devlin set the hearing for Aydin Coban to begin on Sept. 20 in B.C. Supreme Court in New Westminster. A jury delivered a unanimous verdict on Saturday convicting Coban of extortion, harassment, communication with a young person to commit a sexual offence, and possession and distribution of child pornography in Todd's case.

Sentencing next month for man guilty of sextortion

Lightning could complicate B.C. wildfire woes

Lightning could complicate B.C. wildfire woes
Severe thunderstorm watches blanketed the B.C. interior from Prince George south to the U.S. border on Thursday. BC Wildfire Service information officer Karley Desrosiers said the forecast of lightning, gusty winds and high temperatures could make firefighting a challenge.  

Lightning could complicate B.C. wildfire woes

Woman found with gunshot wounds in Downtown Eastside: VPD

Woman found with gunshot wounds in Downtown Eastside: VPD
Officers discovered the injured 39-year-old near Main Street and East Cordova just before 1 a.m., after she approached a passerby and asked for help. When officers arrived, they found the victim badly injured. VPD provided immediate first aid to the woman, who was taken to hospital and is now receiving treatment for serious injuries.

Woman found with gunshot wounds in Downtown Eastside: VPD