Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Terrace RCMP need the public's help in finding missing woman Jaswinder Taggar

Terrace RCMP need the public's help in finding missing woman Jaswinder Taggar
Taggar was last seen on the morning of July 17, 2022, in the family home and appeared to be in good health at the time. It is believed that she is without her wallet, cell phone, and ID. The family reports that this is very out of character and is concerned for her well-being.

Terrace RCMP need the public's help in finding missing woman Jaswinder Taggar

Public service workers in B.C. to begin job action

Public service workers in B.C. to begin job action
The union, which represents about 33,000 public-service workers across B.C., issued strike notice Friday and is to be in a legal strike position by this afternoon. It says picket lines will go up at 3:30 p.m., outside liquor distribution centres in Delta, Richmond and Kamloops, as well as the wholesale customer centre in Victoria.

Public service workers in B.C. to begin job action

Broad daylight shooting in Maple Ridge leaves man dead

Broad daylight shooting in Maple Ridge leaves man dead
Frontline officers arrived on scene to find a 33-year-old man suffering from gunshot wounds. Police attempted life saving measures on the man until BC Ambulance Services arrived to continue; however, he was later pronounced dead.

Broad daylight shooting in Maple Ridge leaves man dead

Vehicle fire spreads, prompts evacuation alert

Vehicle fire spreads, prompts evacuation alert
The BC Wildfire Service website shows the fire has so far charred about 30 hectares, under half a kilometre square, along the route south of Cawston. The evacuation alert issued by the Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen covers properties along the highway and Sumac Road, west of Richter Mountain.

Vehicle fire spreads, prompts evacuation alert

Wastewater testing expanding to monkeypox: Tam

Wastewater testing expanding to monkeypox: Tam
Over the course of the COVID-19 pandemic wastewater detection became a key way to track the spread of the virus. Dr. Theresa Tam says the experts at the National Microbiology Lab have now discovered a promising approach to detect monkeypox in wastewater and will use the infrastructure developed during the pandemic look for it.

Wastewater testing expanding to monkeypox: Tam

Woman charged after officers 'swarmed': police

Woman charged after officers 'swarmed': police
A statement from Vancouver police says 44-year-old Alene West was charged after an officer was hit in the head with an object on Tuesday. The statement says several other suspects are also under investigation for what is described as a "swarming" of officers who were responding to reports of an unruly man at a community centre in the same block as the encampment.

Woman charged after officers 'swarmed': police